Little center points

Chuck Ellis

for the 4 pronged drive centers.... any one know where I might find a supply?
I lost one in a pile of sawdust/wood shavings and even after spending an hour on hands and knees sifting through handful at a time, never found it... I have two of the drive centers, but one is now useless without the center point.. :(

I would just take it to a local machine shop and see if they have steel rod to fit. Should not be more than a buck. You can order on line but shipping is usually way to high. Or go to a real hardwear store and get a bolt to fit.
Cut the head off, insert, and file to a point on the lathe?

My loser excuse of a bench has a metal frame on the bottom side. To this I hang a Snap-On flex magnet on a 18" handle. Since my back functions as well as a block wall...I pick up everything with it...and it picks up everything!!

Thanks for all the suggestions... problem is
1. not sure where it actually fell... it was stuck in the piece of wood I was turning when I took it off the lathe..:(
2. I didn't actually see it fall since I didn't see it in the wood.:dunno:
3. I've cleaned up the wood shavings.. one hand full at a time.. no joy:eek:
4. I don't have a magnet in the shop.. have thought about getting one since I've dropped other things in the shavings, but always been able to find them.. by sifting through one hand full at a time.:(
5. I'm thinking the magnet may cost more then then center points. :dunno:
6. I figured with the collective knowledge on this forum, I might find someone who has a source or knows of a source... think I'll try the rod idea... you can buy that at the borg's and a few minutes on a grinder will make a point..

appreciate your help... :D

I would just take it to a local machine shop and see if they have steel rod to fit. Should not be more than a buck. You can order on line but shipping is usually way to high. Or go to a real hardwear store and get a bolt to fit.
Cut the head off, insert, and file to a point on the lathe?

They are tapered, like a mini MT. Would take some grinding and lot of time to do that.

If you have been real careful with sifting through the wood chips and found nothing. Any chance that it deflected off and rolled under something and is just hiding from you? Happened to me once and I was amazed as to how far the little sucker made it to hide.

If you have been real careful with sifting through the wood chips and found nothing. Any chance that it deflected off and rolled under something and is just hiding from you? Happened to me once and I was amazed as to how far the little sucker made it to hide.

Likely... seems like half of what I drop will go under a work bench so I have get down on my boney knees and try to retrieve from the back side of underneath the work bench...

I've got probably 4 different magnetic pickup tools?

This one comes in handy for those things that get lost in the sawdust...

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-magnetic-pickup-tool-42288.html
image_961.jpg