finished rocking horse for baby gift

Awhile ago I asked for suggestions for a baby gift. I had several excellent suggestions. I decided to make a rocking horse. I know a newborn has no use for a rocking horse, but when the baby gets old enough it will get a lot of use.

The legs are cherry the body is quartersawn white oak and the neck and head are flat sawn oak. Here's the horse with a coat of shellac. I'm going to try and get it mounted of the rockers tomorrow. I'm shooting for this weekend to be finished. The wife said she would take over and do the saddle, mane, and tail.

I added a couple of pics of the finished woodworking. I need to put on a couple of more coats of finish.

The finished horse.

Attachments

• sanding mop 001 (Medium).jpg
    sanding mop 001 (Medium).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 48
  • sanding mop 004 (Medium).jpg
    sanding mop 004 (Medium).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 44
  • side view horse.jpg
    side view horse.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 29
  • front view horse.jpg
    front view horse.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 28
  • finished horse 002 (Medium).jpg
    finished horse 002 (Medium).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 36
  • finished horse 003 (Medium).jpg
    finished horse 003 (Medium).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 30
  • finished horse 004 (Medium).jpg
    finished horse 004 (Medium).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
That's a real beauty John.:thumb::thumb::thumb: I've made a bunch of rocking horses for my grand kids. It took them quirt awhile to get big enough to enjoy them but when they were they had a real ball with them. The smiles and belly laughs are worth the wait.

Really nice! are you going to mount the rockers directly to the legs, or are they going to be incorporated into a platform, with the horse mounted to that? Just curious.

I personally think that was a wise choice. It is a gift the child will remember using. Don't forget under the horse's belly or somewhere to put the info about the wood, finish, your name, address and who it was made for. That information a 100 years from now will make it more valuable.

John, first congrats to you and your wife on the new one. That is a great gift. I still have the one my Dad built for me when I was a little. It has served me and all my kids, nieces, nephews, cousins, grandkids and others also. I wouldn't part with it and hope my kids think enough of it to keep it in the family when I go.

Sweet job on the Rocking Horses. :thumb::thumb:

I've made 2 and they have both been well received, even if I wish I'd done a little better job on them. The kid's haven't broke them yet!

Kudos to you!