I Need Small Project Ideas

The board has been a little slow lately, so everyone put on their thinking caps. You're not going to believe this, but I got a freelance writing assignment for a woodworking magazine. I need some ideas for small projects.

1. They have to be DEAD EASY (that means *I* have to be able to crank it out then write about it.)
2. Offbeat--not the usual and tired, planter, step stool, box etc.
3. You have to be able to make them with a minimum of tools since not everyone has everything and I know I don't.
4. It's got to be a small project that you can do in 2 days--let's say 2 full days.

Ideas?

These are very quick and easy.

Tic-Tac-Toe games using internal storage for marbles.

Coasters with cork inserts. Maybe add a storage caddy.

Oven hooks--to move hot racks in your oven.

Something tells me there may be too simple for what you want.

A master bedroom set with king sized bed and armoire and 6 drawer chest, with 2 nightstands

Oh wait, you said a full 2 days work, ok, master bedroom set and dining room table.

how bout a charging station for phones, ipods, etc. Simple, useful, good gift idea.

Last edited:
a squirrel catapult? Fun for the whole family!:eek:

Maybe a simple bbq table station if they are going to be printing this while still in season.

Or what about a kitchen workstation on wheels. Glue up a cutting board for the top. frame, legs, bottom shelf and maybe some hooks to hang a few utensils?

A master bedroom set with king sized bed and armoire and 6 drawer chest, with 2 nightstands

Oh wait, you said a full 2 days work, ok, master bedroom set and dining room table.

how bout a charging station for phones, ipods, etc. Simple, useful, good gift idea.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: all that bedroom stuff can be done if you write the article. What does a charging station look like?

a squirrel catapult? Fun for the whole family!:eek:

Maybe a simple bbq table station if they are going to be printing this while still in season.

Or what about a kitchen workstation on wheels. Glue up a cutting board for the top. frame, legs, bottom shelf and maybe some hooks to hang a few utensils?

don't know about the squirrel catapult, but the bbq or kitchen workstation is a good idea.....

I know you said no boxes, but I made my wife a salt and pepper box and she loves it

IMG_0001.jpg

I ended up cutting out about a dozen because she wanted to make them for all her friends, and let her glue/sand/oil them and send them out for gifts last year.

Cutting boards, knife blocks, tivets, or a set of all of them in matching wood.

Wood trivets work fine if you use them on the table, under a casserole or hot dish. Not for a pot coming right off the stove. The link I posted shows the hooey stick in action.

google wood charging stations, youll see a few hundred of them and Amazon has a very simple looking one. You could probably cut the wood and finish it easily in 2 days.
I cant figure out how to link it.

Yeah, toaster tongs are great. I don't have any.

Jonathan, more ideas are always welcome! So far my favorites are:

1. The Hooey Stick
2. Sundial (my idea)
3. Trivets
4. Window flower box
5. BBQ station on wheels
6. Childrens blocks (my idea)

The intarsia is a great idea except I don't have a bandsaw or a scrollsaw

And welcome to John Bassett!