Woodworking perfection

I have never achieved what I consider perfection in any of my woodworking endeavors, and I probably never will. I consider myself more of a wood hack than a woodworker.

From when I first started in this great past time till now my skill set has improved greatly. However on every project I do I always see things that I could have done better.

99% of the things I make I give away to friends or make as gifts. No one ever points out the flaws. Many times I'll show them what I consider to be a flaw and they will say "I wouldn't have noticed that unless you showed it to me". I've stopped doing that.:D

Are we our own worst critic? Does anyone else have this affliction? Has anyone ever achieved what they consider perfection?

Alex, we've seen your work and we know you have the other affliction, the one of achieving perfection and perceiving defects....

We're all our own worst critics. I look at jobs I do and can show you all my monday morning and friday afternoon work. all the flaws that drive me nuts but no one else seems to notice. (the ones that others would see I wouldnt leave....) but little things like a joint not quite right or a reveal a little off on a door. None of us are perfect but I think our mind's eye sees what it "should" look like and we get frustrated with ourselves when we dont quite acheive it..... That is the part of you that shows you take pride in your work and are always endeavoring to improve. someone who doesnt see their flaws and mistakes should find a different hobby or line of work imho

I've made a few things that I've been extremely happy with, but I don't think I've ever made anything that didn't have at least one thing I could have done better.

I always figured the biggest difference between a player and a performer is that the performer can cover his mistakes, whereas a player just lets them stay.

another victum, have seen the quality go up but yet the mistakes show up just as well. and like vaughn said its how we will learn to avoid them next time or correct the ones we get.

Seems to be part of the nature of the beast. I have worked hard to keep my mouth shut when it comes to pointing out areas I feel I could have done better. Seems to make everyone happier. :dunno:

I hope I never stop striving for woodworking perfection but, I don't have much yearning to turn out something that looks like it was not made by hand. Some wise soul once mentioned that the occasional tool mark or irregularity enhances the piece by drawing attention to the fact that someone's hand rendered it. Another wise soul somewhere out there in forum-land stated that our creations should look "hand made" not "home made". That is the state of perfection I pursue :thumb:.