New Bessey Toggle Clamps - Review

glenn bradley

I do a fair amount of template routing. I have been wanting to get my hands on some of these since they were first announced. The videos only made me more sure I wanted some :rolleyes:.

A recent Woodcraft sale brought them within reason given how much I use such things. My normal way of doing things involved changing type and format of toggle, foot type and obviously foot height adjustment depending what I was doing. It is common for me to use my 1/4" templates on 3/8" through 7/8" material on a given project. This involves a lot of fiddling with the clamps.

These work as advertised. I changed out their foot for one that works better for how I use the clamp. The original foot (which is very well made) is in the foreground of the second pic:

a-template-jig-new-toggles.jpgb-template-jig-new-toggles.jpg

Set the desired tension (clamping pressure) and it stays the same regardless of the thickness of the material within the operating limits. Grab a piece of paper and I can lift the white oak and MDF jig by it.

c-template-jig-new-toggles.jpgd-template-jig-new-toggles.jpg

Without changing anything on the setup, I can go straight to a 2" piece of stock. :headbang:

e-template-jig-new-toggles.jpgf-template-jig-new-toggles.jpg

I would recommend these to anyone who regularly uses these types on clamps.

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn! I didn't know about these clamps. The normal toggles work fine except for a lot of fiddling with adjustments etc. I bet these work great with Greene and Greene details. I'll definitely be putting these of my short list.