I learned something today about 3-way switches

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
1) If you are replacing old worn out switches, do not assume the poles for the travelers and hot are exactly the same as the old switches.

2) Make it easy on your self and only replace 1 switch at a time. It's a lot easier to get right if you know you have one switch still wired correctly!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Yeah, Rule #1 should be never buy a house wired by a plumber...

I eventually got it figured out. Biggest issues were figuring out which one was the leg end and what wires were the travelers. Eventually got it. But if I'd only replaced one switch at a time, it would have been much easier...

You'd have loved some of the other wiring innovations the guy did. Like instead of doing a twisted wire and pigtail, just daisy chaining the hot from one switch to the next.

Yep. And never, ever assume that one circuit breaker completely controls both switches. Don't ask me how I know... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I am finding that in this house, it seems completely random what circuit breaker controls what switch.

I do use some little tools like

image_3705.jpg

and

image_215.jpg

And

image_3791.jpg

Just to make sure I don't 'lectrocute' myself...

You remind me of the electrician at work who would work on the panel while it was live... ;)

Back in my band days, we would run our own power distribution system from the 240v mains coming into the building. I would open up the main panel (live), loosen the terminal lugs where the mains were attached to the breaker panel, slip the bare ends of my cable in, then tighten it back up. (Code? What code?) :p The only time I ever had any problems was a bar in Lubbock (or maybe Midland, I don't remember for sure) where they had a separate power drop right at the stage, so I didn't need to run my 200' "pigtail" to the main box. I ended up accidentally wiring a dead short, and found out about it when I plugged two twist-lock connectors together. It not only let the smoke out, but also a large ball of fire. Long story short, I never realized a drummer could run through his drum set before that day. :D

Long story short, I never realized a drummer could run through his drum set before that day. :D

Doorlink showed me a page of musician jokes a while back. For some reason, lots of them are about drummers? :dunno:

Q. How do you know the stage is level?
A. The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

Q: What's the similarity between a drummer and a philosopher?
A: They both perceive time as an abstract concept.

Q: What do you say to a drummer in a three-piece suit?
A: "Will the Defendant please rise?"

Of course, Doorlink's a soprano, and they are not spared:

"How many sopranos does it take to change a lightbulb?

One. She holds the bulb and the world revolves around her.
Two. One to hold the diet cola and the other to get her accompanist to do it.
Four. One to change the bulb and three to pull the chair out from under her.

and the best one ever?

Q: How many sopranos does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Three: one to change the bulb, one to kick the ladder out from under her, and one to say, "I knew it was too high for you, dear." ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Q. What do you call a drummer who's broken up with his girlfriend?
A. Homeless.

Q. What's the best way to confuse a drummer?
A. Put a sheet of music in front of him.

Q. What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?
A. "Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?

I'll be here all week
Don't forget to tip your waitress