Touch up

I had a customer bring me this Silverware chest to repair I posted the pics earlier but not the finial touch up I do al most all my touch ups with Primary colors pigments and Lacover 30

Attachments

• IMAG0141.jpg
    IMAG0141.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 56
as always Dave looks awesome!
How do you know when to add colors like blue? I can grasp the reds, yellows and oranges and even green but blue throws me?

Dave...Looks good, well done.

as always Dave looks awesome!
How do you know when to add colors like blue? I can grasp the reds, yellows and oranges and even green but blue throws me?

If you pick up a finishers color wheel like this it will help in knowing what colors make what colors.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Thats wheel dose not have blue , I have 18 credit hour in color so dealing with color has never been an issue . Any color can be obtained from the primarys. With the use of black and white

Dave, pardon me for saying this, have been mulling it over since looking at this photo. But either it is a shadow or a photo thing, but the repair on this doesn't seem as invisible as what the pitcher handle and other things have been. I am no expert by any means in this area, actually only an expert on forking manure, but I can see the area and it seems very visible. Just wondering if in person this is this way. :huh::dunno:
Please don't take this as criticism as you are a magician and I mean that in the most upstanding way possible as to your talents in refurbishing/fixing/repairing items into useable, visual pieces of art.

Mike the color wheel you placed up is a artist ie. Painters color wheel. Which I learned from as an artist. The Wood finishers color wheel is great for stains which come across totally different the opaque colors.

A painters color wheel will provide a source for making judgements of what tints, pigments or colors are needed to achieve a certain shade. My first color wheel I think I got from Sherwin-Williams in the early 70's. It was either free or something like $1. Most woodworkers back then that did finishing used them. I may still have that one...maybe it's a collectors item.:D

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Might be semantics but bare with me please, Shade is the light or darkness of a color, The color wheel give you the ability to decided which colors to mix to obtain the desired color to work with. Once the color is reached then the mixing of colors more of less will help you achieve the hue desired. Shades can be reached by adding Light tones or darker tones. ie. black or white. I do not like using black or white very ofter because the pastel effect that is visual to the brains perception. This brings up the what I like to use with wood .....glazing to allow light movement through the glazes to fool the eye and into thinking one is seeing a true color when there might be 2 or 3 glazes that have been slightly shaded for a old look or a new look of wood or the wood I am working.

A painters color wheel will provide a source for making judgements of what tints, pigments or colors are needed to **achieve a certain shade.** My first color wheel I think I got from Sherwin-Williams in the early 70's. It was either free or something like $1. Most woodworkers back then that did finishing used them. I may still have that one...maybe it's a collectors item.:D

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Last edited:
Might be semantics but bare with me please, Shade is the light or darkness of a color, The color wheel give you the ability to decided which colors to mix to obtain the desired color to work with. Once the color is reached then the mixing of colors more of less will help you achieve the hue desired. Shades can be reached by adding Light tones or darker tones. ie. black or white. I do not like using black or white very ofter because the pastel effect that is visual to the brains perception. This brings up the what I like to use with wood .....glazing to allow light movement through the glazes to fool the eye and into thinking one is seeing a true color when there might be 2 or 3 glazes that have been slightly shaded for a old look or a new look of wood or the wood I am working.

Purely semantics, but bare with me please. Color wheels can show shades, hues, and tones, and can help make decisions of what to mix. That's just my short description, whether I'm right or wrong. Sorry I didn't use terminology you are used to. If it makes you happy... you're right, and I'm wrong.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Purely semantics, but bare with me please. Color wheels can show shades, hues, and tones, and can help make decisions of what to mix. That's just my short description, whether I'm right or wrong. Sorry I didn't use terminology you are used to. If it makes you happy... you're right, and I'm wrong.

So which one of you is going to pee in the pool first?

You both are very good at what you do, but please don't go down the path I am seeing.

Mike I'm not at all offended, I am just explaining color theory on the level everyone can except. Especially me LOL
Now if you want to get into the Light and color in physics I know enough to screw thing up but enough to understand light passage.

Steve I think this is good because you have a couple of guys here who know their bull patties and hopefully others will glean something from our discussion. Every finisher has their own way of getting to what they want. I've seen this in the many painting I have restored over the years. Finding out the artist palette and how they came to the color used and application. It's an interesting subject.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Last edited: