Rose Vase

Well the LOML gave me another drawing on Tuesday night while we were watching TV. She thought it might look pretty nice. So I head to the shop the next morning to fiddle around and see what I could come up with. She wanted this one with no lid and after seeing it done now wants one dyed blue with a lid. So guess I will get to it this afternoon. Anyway it came out pretty nice with the scallops on the edge. It is 5 1/2" tall and 4 1/2" across. It is dyed with red transtint and lacquer finish.

Attachments

• Rose Vase 1.jpg
    Rose Vase 1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Rose Vase 2.jpg
    Rose Vase 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 57
Thanks everyone. Actually these were alot of fun to make.

On the scallops I used the indexing on the lathe which has 24 detents. I marked the lip with 24 marks. I found a lid that would span 4 marks about 1/4 of the way. Didn't want to go half way on the lid because they would be to deep IMHO. I drew the 1/4 circle. I then took it to my new oscillating spindle sander. Menards just opened a store down the road. They had it for half price at $84.50 so couldn't pass it up. Anyway I use the 1" spindle and sand away to form the scallops. I had it upside down on the table feeding it in.

Bernie that is absolutely beautiful. What a pair you and the wife, she can draw something like that and you can make it! :thumb::thumb:
Any chance when you make the blue one that you take enough pictures of each stage for an explanation in pictures for me as I am having a hard time imagining how this piece of art comes to be. :huh::dunno:

Thanks Bernie. I have a couple of students taking my turning class for the third time as Independent Study Students. Their talents and ambitions sometimes exceed mine! I would hazard a guess one of them might take on this for their mom.

Not a problem Jonathan. I am going to try to do one either tomorrow afternoon after some clock service calls or Tuesday. I will get you pictures of my procedure. May not be the best or easiest but it works.