Crazy parents and kids

It has been one unreal Saturday evening. Let me set the stage for this one.

The wife and I attend her 25 high school reunion. We have a good time, she does better than me, because I really don't know many people there. But you know how when you are around a bunch of strangers that are drinking, you can just tell which ones are the happy drunks and which are the mean drunks? We I picked out a few of each.

Now at the same time, Comet, the oldest daughter and the two neighbor boys go to the drive in. Cowboys and Aliens was playing. She takes the Tahoe and we are left with my cavalier.

All is well and we returned home about 11 Pm. We pick up Gator along the way. We all turn in about 12. Now as those of you who have kids that are out late, you really don't sleep.

Now it gets interesting. Phone rings at 12:45, its Comet, she is screaming. Been a wreck right here by the house. Some young brat rode her bumper until he could pass. He passes, goes off the shoulder, over corrects and barrel rolls right in front of her. I hop up, get dressed and tear off to the site. When i pull up, the vehicle was destroyed. This kid is walking around. A small scratch on his back. He didn't have his belt on and was tossed to the back seat. Might be what saved his dumb tail. Comet and the boys are OK. Although being both farm boys, they wanted to beat some tail.

He calls his folks. He is trying to explain to his mom that he is OK. I ask for the phone to give her directions. Wow, I can tell on the phone she is drunk, amazing.

Cops show up, they are real nice about it, just glad no one was hurt. I don't think he is even going to be ticketed. I know the cops, as I know most around here. Here come the parents, they have a sober driver. Holy crap, it is the drunk from the reunion. Small world. He runs up to his son, and whacks him a good one. The cop pulls him off and explains things to him. Luckily he didn't really get a good hit on the kid. Mom is screaming and dad is still fighting mad. I ask the cop can my daughter leave. Sure, get her out of here. I turn the Tahoe around in the road for her and off they go. Still shaken, but I felt she needed to finish the trip.

Now drunk dad spots me. He decides it's all Comets fault and that's why she left. He starts to scream. He gets really upset. He attacks. Before we hit the pavement, the cops break it up. This dude was crazy mad. Cops tells me to get in truck and leave. Drunk dude screams at me all the while I am leaving.

So to make a long story short. It is 5 am and I am still wide awake. Comet and the boys are all OK. Crashed kid will be sore here in a bit.

I know this probably didn't make much sense, but dang, I am tired and now maybe I can sleep a bit. I had to tell someone.

Dang. Not the kind of Saturday night you had in mind, I'm sure. I hope your cop acquaintances managed to get Drunk Dad a weekend stay in the Graybar Hotel for assault (on you), child abuse (on his son), and public drunkenness (on the rest of us). ;)

Fortunately no one was seriously hurt. And fortunately your daughter didn't panic and lose control the tahoe! Alot to be grateful for here despite the knucklehead father.
What a night........:eek:

And we wonder why so many of the kids nowadays are knuckleheads????
Sounds like your daughter has a good head on her shoulders. Probably partly due to you. ;):rofl::thumb: Yep, when I was with the Sheriff's department, saw a lot of unimaginable things. Those are the type of nights that provide good supper conversation and learning situations. Hope you get a nap today bud!

I'm glad the kids weren't hurt or none too seriously anyway... maybe when Drunk Daddy sobers up he'll realize what almost happened and have a little more compassion for his son.
The fright maybe will have more effect than any injury would...

You know though the scariest thing about your story was I just realized I've been out of high school twice as long as your wife... my 50th reunion was last year... I didn't go because all of my class mates got really old and I don't recognize any of them any more... and we we only 46 in the graduating class.

Wow Steve thats a lot of excitement for one night. I think anyone could do without it though. Glad no one on your side got hurt.

Good thing for me about being so far away from where i originated, i get to hear about the high school reunion via email and pictures. :)

I still have Franks punchline ringing in my ears, "people are funny critters"

I guess one thing to be thankful for is that I graduated from high school in a dry town... dry county... only way to get booze at a party is to import if from the next county... or back when I was in school, buy it from the boot legger city constable.

Well nap is over. Finally gave up at noon.

picture.php

As you can see, he wiped it out. I do believe dad went to jail last night but was released. It was more of a wake up than anything for him.

And that is why new vehicles cost so much. They do a lot of good things we hopefully will never need. Had that happened even 20 years ago, bet that kid would be in a casket. I dislike the cost of automobiles as much as the next guy, but when you see examples like that, even though those darn sparkplugs are near inacessable, glad an engineer did his job on the safety aspects of this mutilated piece of junk.

That is a Nissan something or other. It held up well for what it went through.

And now I just found out, Comet and the boy are now friends on Facebook. The world moves on.:thumb: She said he is hot:eek:

Holy cow Steve, can't believe I missed this post till now. That is one crazy story. Hard to believe some folks act that way. Just glad you and yours are all okay, and hope you manage to get some sleep tonight....

Steve:

I'm glad all is well with your kids - despite Comet thinking that "Crash" is HOT :eek: I'm not quite there yet (on the boys or the driving front).

I admit to searching FWW for COMET and finding the back story on the names Comet and Gator.

My kids are Bunky and Bubba . . .

Cheers

Jim Mattheiss

Man, he sure wadded up that SUV. (I think that's the new Nissan Crunch.) :p

As Jon said, it looks like the crumple zones did their job if he was able to walk away from that, especially since he wasn't wearing his seat belt.

Just glad everyone is OK. Hopefully a wake up call for everyone. Those that choose to be irresponsible on the road and those that are responsible and need to look out for the other. It may never change, but at least we can all be more aware...

Give Comet a hug for keeping her wits about herself...

I'm thankful Comet and her friends were uninjured. And I hope that crash dummy is good and sore to help reinforce the fact that his vehicle, more than likely, saved his life. Hopefully he doesn't credit his driving skills for being able to walk away from this. I doubt that drunk dad learned anything from this. That would be too much to ask from an accident with a near miracle result in no serious injury.