Have you seen this router jig? Found and Shop Made

glenn bradley

I am usually the guy who can find something for you . . . well its my turn to ask. I have repeatedly seen this jig which consists of four aluminum extrusions (I think). In the catalog pic they are black and the picture shows a router sort of like what I show here. I plan to make one and just wanted a look at the commercial one before proceeding. Of course, I cannot find it to save my life:rolleyes:

The jig just creates an adjustable square or rectangle to act as a router template guide for rabbet recesses in picture frames and the like. I cannot find this darn thing anywhere although I swear, I stumble across it frequently when browsing supplier's catalogs. Am I just having a senior moment? Can anyone help me out with a source?

Attachments

• router-jig-question.jpg
    router-jig-question.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Is this what you are looking for ? Varijig System Adjustable Frame

Link listed Under Routing Jigs
8f4416fdbdd29393400119dd2eef.jpg
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtgbgwfBnak

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. Ben, that's the one but, I still can't figure out where I have seen it. That's it, its definitely a senior moment. I probably NEVER saw it in a catalog. At any rate, here's my version made from MDF and some t-track I had up over the rafters if anyone is interested.

router-edge-guide-1.jpg

The "L" brackets screw into one arm and a hex cap screw snugs a t-washer into the t-track to set the size. This will be used with a template guide or very carefully with a bearing guided bit due to the slot in the t-track.

Despite having boxes full of misc jig doo-dads, I will have to run to the BORG for the L-brackets. I'll post a pic when I get it done. Thanks again.

Shop Made Version

This turned out better than it has any right to. Seems to work well. I'll know if any enhancements are required after the first few projects.

Attachments

• router-jig-frames 001.jpg
    router-jig-frames 001.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 195
  • router-jig-frames 002.jpg
    router-jig-frames 002.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 182
  • router-jig-frames 003.jpg
    router-jig-frames 003.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 193
Very ingenious Glenn.

I'm assuming you have something more than the the angle brackets keeping the sides from racking?

Looks great!

Glenn, did you use this with a bushing or a bearing?

I need to route out some recesses and this looks like a good way to do it. I like that it's adjustable. I think I might even have enough t-track to put something together.

Glenn, did you use this with a bushing or a bearing?

I need to route out some recesses and this looks like a good way to do it. I like that it's adjustable. I think I might even have enough t-track to put something together.

I used it with both. Even better, Sears had the original Trend unit on clearance, online for $40 so I snapped one up. The shop made one worked well though and was actually less fussy to setup than the commercial version ;-)

The shop made one actually looks like it gives you more room for supporting the router than the commercial version.

The shop made one actually looks like it gives you more room for supporting the router than the commercial version.

Bingo. trend includes a plastic spacer and a selection of screws to screw a "foot" onto your router base for support. There is some info on clamping options here. A similar method could be adapted to the shop made version.