How Critical is Bandsaw Blade Length?

Bob Wiggins

Former Member (by the member's request)
I realize every saw and size will probably have a different range of blade length. I have a Delta Homecraft 9" saw that I use to saw everything from 1/8" Masonite to 3-4 inch stove wood and even a wood working project on occasion.

It's about time for a new blade or two and the Delta boxes containing blades that came with the pre-owned saw have a length of 71-3/4" clearly stamped on the boxes. One of the blades that broke in the weld actually measures 71 and just shy of 5/8". I see 72" stock blades listed for sale so it makes me ask what range of length I may be able to get by with.

I might be able to calculate it but I would need a refresher geometry course to do that so I ask on the form for information from someone with experience if they think a 72" would work. And I promise if it doesn't work I won't carve your user name in stone with that incorrect information. Thanks, Bob

It really depends on the bandsaw. Most of the 14" bandsaws have a tension adjuster that displays spring tension, so you would get adequate tension as long as the blade length is within the adjustable range. It wouldn't matter if it was 1/8" longer or shorter. I know my saw would be able to deal with 1/4" longer blade without a problem.

If you can put a 71 3/4" blade in and adjust it up to full tension, and measure if you have enough adjustment for a 72" blade that will answer your question. You'll need 1/8" more stroke on the tensioning adjuster to accomodate a 1/4" longer blade. Make sure the wheel has clearance also.

I have a 12" C-man & a 14" Grizzly w/riser block I have always used the 80" recommended blade length for the C-man & the 105" recommend blade length for the Grizzly with no problems. I would go with the factory recommended length blade. It should be in your manual or you should be able to get a copy of the manual on line.

In addition to what Jeb said there may be a secondary adjustment on yours as well. Many saws have them. Look on the back for a block or threaded bolt that can be loosened and moved up or down. Let us know what you find.

If the temperature ever gets to a respectable °F somewhere below 122° in that building I'll take a pic or two and try to find the mod. and ser. nos. so I can search for a manual.

You need to see if you have enough adjustment in there to draw the proper tension on the blade. Is it the old 3 wheel model? Can't you check on delta's website for the specs and just order new blades? There are several companies out there that will make them up to order. That way you are assured of it working properly and not slipping which will chew up your tires and that is not, NOT a fun job to do the replacement on. Or flying off while you are making a tough cut. If you have ever had a blade let go you know what Im talking about. Youch such a noise!