Grandsons bed

Bob Gibson

I've got to get this done. My grandson (he's 3) keeps calling me and asking for his big boy bed :doh::doh:
Between summer yard york, the garden, toy swap, a couple of smaller projects, my friend passing away, and my wifes knee replacement surgery I haven't been able to spend as much time in the shop as I normally do. :(

Anyway it's received the final sanding and is almost ready for finish. I just have to clean up a few mortises and tenons and fix a few of the chamfers I messed up.:doh: I went through a period where everything I touched I screwed up by making real rookie mistakes. I kept tools out of my hands for a week or so and finally got my head back into it:)

It's made of locally harvested sugar maple. I really like the guy I buy my wood from. Even buying common grade 80% of it is really beautiful. I think the maple cost me $2.60bf.

The pictures are from before I did the final sanding. The headboard is clamped together just to double check the fit and the footboard is reddy to sand and stain.
The bed posts were fun to make. The new bandsaw really made my life easier. The finials were fun to make as well. I need to replace my cove bit though because it tended to burn the maple quite a bit. It's probably time I think I'ts 15 years old. I've attempted to sharpen it a few times but it's pretty obvious to me I have a lot of learning to do.

The picture is from the plans and hopefully mine will look as good. I do have to admit though I'm pretty pleased with how it's come out so far. I think I've used every power tool in the shop except for my lathe. Planer, jointer, TS, mortising machine, router table, sanding center, drill press and band saw. Thanks Mr. Edison for inventing electricity :rofl::rofl:

My PC ro sander has seen better days. It's probably 10 -15 years old and has been a workhorse. But it's starting to give up the ghost. I jury rig it up to my dust deputy.It does a real good job of keeping the dust down in my basement shop.

My grand daughter Abby surprised me in the shop one evening with a couple of cherry popsicles. She thought I was hot and she would join me in a treat. Needless to say she managed to drip a few drops on the headboard. Most of it sanded out. I hope the finish will cover it but if not I'll just make it the back side of the bed.

Haven't decided on a finish yet. I'll stain it to darken it up a bit but I'm unsure on the best finish. After a few great pointers from Larry and Rob's thread on his spray booth I'm thinking of giving spraying a try. Never done it before though. That's why I was interested in Dan's state fair table finish. Seems to me every time I make a large project I try a different method. Since I absolutely hate the finishing process I really need to find a simple tried and true easy method :dunno:

Here are a few pictures. As usual comments and suggestions both good and bad are really appreciated. That's how I get to be a better woodworker.

100_4080 (600 x 400)1.jpg

100_4081 (600 x 400)2.jpg

100_4083 (600 x 400)3.jpg

100_4084 (600 x 400)5.jpg

100_4085 (600 x 400)7.jpg

100_4086 (600 x 400)6.jpg

100_4088 (600 x 400)8.jpg

100_4089 (600 x 400)9.jpg

Another fantastic project for a family member that will genuinely enjoy the present. I remember when my mom found on the wall of my bunkbed the names of girls I thought belonged on a list. She was furious then, now, she laughs about it!:huh: Wish she had found the humor back then before she paddled me!:doh:
So, if he does something dumb like that, it's his, those are the scars he will remember and makes it his personal bed.
Way to go Gramps, making lasting memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

looks good bob,, if you do stain that bob it should help to hide it,, but mabe you could try to bleach it a little with some oxalic acid ?? dave would be a better person to ask to see if you can get it out its a water base dye if it came from a popsicle..gonna be fun to see it completed!!

I finished it up a couple of weeks ago and delivered it to him last weekend.

My daughter sent me a picture of my grandson on the bed with his new box spring and mattress. The picture is on my phone. Just gotta figure out how to get it from there to here :eek:

100_4114 (600 x 400) tc bed1.jpg

100_4113 (600 x 400)tc bed2.jpg