Jonathan here ya go

Jonathan asked that I post how I turn these. I hope it explains it well enough for all and for the kids to understand. Basically I took snap shots as I progressed. Anyway here is a green one I did today. I was going to try different colors but found out india ink and transtint dyes don't work well together so went green till I can order some other colors of transtint dye in.

Also on this one I messed up and wasn't paying attention. I parted off the vase before I made a detent for the lid so it will be like the red one with no lid.

Well here goes. As you can see I mount a blank which this one is 4 1/2" X 4 1/2" X 5 1/2" long. It is then turned round. From there I start shaping the outside profile. Once I get it pretty much where I want it I mount a steady rest as when I hollow the inside profile it cuts down on the chatter a bunch. Once the profile is where I want it I remove the steady rest and go thru with sanding. I start here at 120 grit up to 400 grit. Once this is all done and I am satisfied I then take the tool rest to center height. I then begin to mark a mark for each detent. Once this is done I find something round that will give me a quarter circle. This happens to be for me a solder wick container. Once these are marked and I am satisfied I then move to the oscillating spindle sander and sand away all the quarter circles to form the scallops. Once this is done it is returned to the lathe and sanded one more time to remove pencil marks with 320 and 400. I then apply the dye to the piece and use a sharpie for the blackening of the scallops. It is then parted off leaving a short 3/8" tenon with will be glued into the base and makes it solid.

From there I take a piece of 2 X 2 X 6 maple, poplar, etc and start making the knob if I do a lid and the base. I just keep working the opening for the vase to sit into the base until it fits snugly and has a good seat. Both the knob and base are dyed with black india ink. Couldn't get all the pictures on this thread so you will see them in the next one.

Attachments

• Vase Step 1.jpg
    Vase Step 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Vase Step 10.jpg
    Vase Step 10.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Vase Step 9.jpg
    Vase Step 9.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Vase Step 8.jpg
    Vase Step 8.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Vase Step 7.jpg
    Vase Step 7.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Vase Step 6.jpg
    Vase Step 6.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Vase Step 5.jpg
    Vase Step 5.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Vase Step 4.jpg
    Vase Step 4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Vase Step 3.jpg
    Vase Step 3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Vase Step 2.jpg
    Vase Step 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 38
The last two pictures are the vase glued to the base. I use only titebond III when I glue wood and have never had a piece come apart. Haven't had good luck with CA glue. This vase is dyed green and hopefully will show up better once I get the total finish on it which is going to be lacquer. It has one shot on it now and will get probably about 7 more light coats.

Jonathan I hope this helps with the kids and hope it will help anyone else that would like to try one. Any questions please ask away. Thanks.

Attachments

• Vase Step 11.jpg
    Vase Step 11.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Vase Step 12.jpg
    Vase Step 12.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 35
Thanks a bunch Bernie. First thing Lou Ann said when she saw it, "I want one!!!". That is an awesome tutorial and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to document and take pictures of the events as they transpire. Dyeing, what does that entail or is there a thread on this topic already I have missed? You will certainly see one or more of these made this year by my students. Will call it the Bernie vase assignment! :thumb::thumb:

Thanks I appreciate it. The dye process I use is quite simple. I use transtint dyes from CSUSA. I use them because they mix with DNA (denatured Alcohol) which allows them to dry quickly. if you use water based/mixed dyes it will raise the grain and you will have to sand. I can't give you precise measurement but I generally start with 2 drops of dye to 4 to 6 tablespoons of DNA. I try it on the waste part of the wood in the chuck. If it is to dark I will add a tablespoon or 2 of DNA. I have found that natural bristle brushes work best for applying the dye. I wipe the brushes out and reuse them. There is no doubt on which goes with what color.:rofl: If it is to dark when I get it on I will use 320 or 400 grit to sand it back some. I have some DNA in a spray bottle and will spritz/wet the piece to get the dye to blend. Hope this helps.

Jonathan I hope to see some of these vases from your kids this school year. I love working with kids and helping them learn. I would be proud to see what they do. Please post when they get them done. Thanks.

Jonathan I hope to see some of these vases from your kids this school year. I love working with kids and helping them learn. I would be proud to see what they do. Please post when they get them done. Thanks.

With my advanced class, this looks like something they should be able to accomplish once we build a steady rest. I have inline skating wheels and axles already so just got to get it done. You will have helped kids here! Most definitely will post all that get completed or started good, bad or indifferent.
Thanks again Bernie, it is an amazing project!!!:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the how-to, Bernie. :thumb:

...I have some DNA in a spray bottle and will spritz/wet the piece to get the dye to blend...

Just be careful spraying DNA. If inhaled, the mist is nasty stuff. I darned near ended up in the hospital one night spraying DNA and TransTint with an airbrush. I was wearing a dust respirator. The next day I bought a VOC respirator.