My new toy

The head of our accounting department let me spend some money. So far I am very happy with this thing. No test drive yet, just looking it over. The instructions are a booklet, not the typical pamphlet. The main body is one piece with all stops and locators machined into the surface. More later this weekend when I take it for a test drive. I looked real hard at the Omni Jig, but it went this direction, because router jigs is all Leigh does and they should be good at it.

picture.php

Steve,
I've got an older Leigh that I've upgraded several times to keep up with improvements. It's very close to D4R in specs now. I REALLY like it. It's definitely the most versatile DT jig out there.

That said, it's very finicky about setups. Don't deviate one iota from the book (the book is great, btw) though, and you'll be spot-on every time.

If you want to make some more 'exotic' joints that aren't in the book, Leigh has several tutorial pages on their website.

You're really gonna like that jig, I'm sure!

i second what jim said on the setups.. when you get one dialed in write it down in the book, use a verniers caliper if you have one to get the numbers..and 8mm bits are better than the smaller ones in my opinion. and alittle change makes a big differnce..

Better late than never. I fired this up today and made some Through DT's. All I can say is wow, this is one nice piece of equipment. After the 3rd set I had it figured out good enough to call it a day. I can see this getting plenty of use in the future. The Milwaukee D handle really helps with the operation.

Congratulations, Steve! :thumb:

I've looked at that and a couple of other jigs over the past several years and.....maybe someday. My problem is that I bought an Incra system a few years ago, so it's harder to justify a Leigh now. :huh:

The head of our accounting department let me spend some money. ...

I'm glad you have an understanding accountant - sounds like mine. There are times she'll buy something for me if I'm too hesitant! We went on a wood-buying trip yesterday and I had a certain amount in mind. When we left the place, we had twice as much wood as I was planning to get! :)

This is a bit off subject but I'd appreciate your feedback.

"Why did you buy a dovetail jig?" That is, do you do projects that require a lot of dovetails, such as a set of kitchen cabinets with lots of drawers? Or do you do lots of case goods and use dovetails to build the cases and drawers? Or what?

What about alternates - such as lock miter joints or hand cut dovetails?

I'm just trying to understand the market for dovetail jigs a bit better - who buys them and why.

Mike

I got it because I wanted it and it is quicker than learning how to do it. The Leigh and can do most any joint right out of the box. Box, sliding Dt's pretty much anything. I do drawers and stuff so it seemed like a good purchase.

This is a bit off subject but I'd appreciate your feedback.

"Why did you buy a dovetail jig?" That is, do you do projects that require a lot of dovetails, such as a set of kitchen cabinets with lots of drawers? Or do you do lots of case goods and use dovetails to build the cases and drawers? Or what?

What about alternates - such as lock miter joints or hand cut dovetails?

I'm just trying to understand the market for dovetail jigs a bit better - who buys them and why.

Mike
f

for me, Ive built many, many drawers in furniture, and ofcourse I could use different joints, but I personally admire the look of a dovetailed joint.
Id prefer to cut some by hand, but I dont see that happenning in my future.
I will make solid cabinetry in the future, and having the ability to cut up to 24 inches wide will make that task possible.

Its not a huge investment.(as most quality machines are today) I paid a bit over 500 for my omnijig, 24 inch, and Im sure when I decide or are forced to give up woodworking(or die), it will sell used for close to half the cost of a new one.

I see dovetail jigs selling for under 100 that would work fine for drawers.

Money wasnt a major issue when I purchased mine, I waited for a sale, because I was told to never buy anything for woodworking unless it is on sale, so I went with a brand I trust.

Last edited:
Glad to see you got 'er dirty finally, Steve. Based on your first impression, it sounds like you'll get some good stuff out of it.

I have the simple Rockler jig and have used it on a total of three joints, including one for the test piece. (The other two were on a paper towel holder that would've done fine with simpler joints.) It was one of those tools I just HAD to have when I started doing woodworking, but it turns out I've had very little need for it. If I ever move into a new shop and need drawers, though, I'll be set. :rolleyes:

I've also got an Incra setup on my tablesaw/router table, so that would be my likely choice for a small dovetail job (like a jewelry box or humidor).