My son's 4-H Display of Scale Models

Jim Mattheiss

Hello

My son Jacob is a member of the Somerset County NJ 4-H Scale Modelers Clubs and it's time for the 4-H Fair.

His models are on display with the rest of the clubs models (along with a little flat work of mine). :dunno:

attachment.php

He build a scale model of the HMS Hood (a British Destroyer) and a model of the USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier.

attachment.php

attachment.php

** Note - I just noticed that the B-25 taking off the Hornet looks like it's headed into the drink . . . DOH!

I brought him to the monthly meetings and provided encouragement. Unfortunately we are two peas from the same pod - hardheaded and stubborn - so he doesn't like when I help him.

I made the plexiglass "guards" for the front of the table. In the past people have touched models on display, doing damage.

Cheers

Jim Mattheiss

Attachments

• DSCF1111 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF1111 (Medium).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF1108 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF1108 (Medium).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF1110 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF1110 (Medium).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
nice job.

btw, I just watched a video someone posted here with a guy cleaning the snake pit.
Next time throw a few of those snakes on the model table and Im sure noone will touch the models.

Nice job on the models and the shields.:thumb::thumb: Brings back memories of things I did 50+ years ago. And before you ask, yes--they did have plastic that long ago. I did not chisel them out of stone.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Great-looking models, but the waves breaking off the bow of the Hornet really make the scene complete. Fine work by both of you. :thumb: (Him in building the models; you in building the boy.)

We just broke the booth down and the guards are going into storage for next year. Judging from the number of finger prints on the lexan, they served their purpose very well.

I have a mid-50's ford pickup model to build. I just haven't gotten around to it. We will see if I can still assemble a plastic model.

Thank you for all the kind words.

Cheers

Jim

Jim this is so cool. Some things make me more happy than a million bucks would. Seeing Jacobs models and hearing of you two getting together to put them in the fair for others to see is one of those things. Very cool Jacob and i dont think the plane is going in the drink. Thats not a jet so it needs more time to get airborn with those props.

Now Jim, I dunno if Jacob knows any of the history of the HMS Hood but it was a special ship to my Dad. HMS Hood was sunk during the Battle to sink the German pocket battleship Bismarck. Hood engaged Bismarck and its escourt Prinz Eugen in order to slow them down so the British home fleet could catch up and engage but HMS Hood was hit in a salvo from the German ships and exploded and sank. Was a huge blow at the time and a lot of sailors lost their lives. Jim a small technicality but she was a Battle Cruiser a lot more powerfull than a destroyer.
Its great that a youngster has built the model, kinda keeps the ship alive.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice job. I remember making car models as a kid. Fun stuff.

Not to threadjack or anything, but Sharon, you shoot firearms, do woodworking, build model cars, camp out, and do all sorts of other 'tomboy' things. You're like the brother that Brent always wanted. Which leads to one simple question:

Do you have any sisters? (Not for me, but there may be some single guys reading this.) :p

Not to threadjack or anything, but Sharon, you shoot firearms, do woodworking, build model cars, camp out, and do all sorts of other 'tomboy' things. You're like the brother that Brent always wanted. Which leads to one simple question:

Do you have any sisters? (Not for me, but there may be some single guys reading this.) :p

Well I do have a sister six years older than me, but she was definitely the girly-girl in the family (and currently happily married in Virginia).

I think it was because I was sandwiched between two brothers, two years on either side of me, I didn't have much of a chance to do anything other than decide if I wanted to go shoot rabbits, hunt down tarantulas, dig 6 ft. deep holes in the back yard or play with hand tools out in the garage.

But more importantly, all it took was a few people over my life that told me a girl can't do that (we're talking the olden days here, you know). And no one tells Sharon she can't do something (just ask Brent :rofl::rofl::rofl:). Maybe that's why I did the toy swap this year.