Dust Collection

Ron Roase

I have a Jet 1100 dust collection with the canister on top instead of the cloth bag and use a clear plastic bag on the bottom to collect the sawdust. I have it in the garage just on the other side of a wall that separates shop from garage. Every thing works great:thumb::thumb::thumb: except for one small detail....LOL is complaining about the fine dust on her car:eek: I got her a duster for her car but that didn't cut it. Am wondering if I could put a large plastic bag over the canister or would that restrict the performance of the jet? I could build a small closet around the jet if I have to, but was looking for a easier way out. Maybe just a small box to fit over the canister with a furnace filter in it. Any thoughts would be appreciated..... or I may have a bed in my shop.:huh:

if i understand it correctly ,,the reason your gettin dust on her car is because your canister is letting go threw its filter baffels,, so to me if you put a bag over the canister it should cause it to drop down the walls of the bag but maybe the bag wont stay on over the canister because of the air pressure blowing it off.. het dust of her car, bag your collector and run a test to see what happens a bag is cheap experiment and well worth any home sleeping change:):thumb::thumb:

I gotta disagree with Larry!

A plastic bag covering the filter will restrict/halt airflow, and the dust collector just won't work.

What's the spec on the filter cartridge? A one micron filter sure shouldn't let much dust through at all. It sounds like you have a much coarser filter, or else you have a significant leak on the pressure side of the DC.

More likely, though, the dust on the car isn't coming through the DC at all - it's airborne dust thet the DC never saw that's settled on the cars. A shop air filter mounted to the ceiling might be what you need.

you know more than me JIM:)) but doesnt the air exhaust out the filters not inhaul?? and i was tryun to say his filter wasnt small enough micron:) and if he sands a flat panel with a RO sander without adequate collection its gonna dust her car,, so the fact that its not getting there to begin with is absolutely factual:D:thumb::thumb:

Considering they're in seperate rooms, I'd look for a leak in the dust collection canister somewhere. You filter cartridge may have a tear in it or not sealing off.

If you want to check for a leak then turn the lights out and aim a flash light at the dust collector while someone turns it on. You should be able to see any fine dust that gets disturbed in the light from the flash light.

If its any consolation down here in Texas it's so dry that you need to clean a layer of dust off the windshield every morning!

Last edited:
Jim's right. Putting a plastic bag over the canister filter would severely cut down on the airflow, and really weaken the suction. You could possibly put a fabric filter bag over the canister, but if you put a 5 micron bag over a 1 micron canister filter, I don't know that it'd be an improvement.

I also agree with Jeb...it sounds like it might be a leak somewhere on or around the DC itself. Mine developed a small leak in the hose that run from the impeller to the separator. (I wrapped it with stretch wrap to fix it.) The dark room and flashlight trick should help spot a leak if there is one.

Jim's right. Putting a plastic bag over the canister filter would severely cut down on the airflow, and really weaken the suction. You could possibly put a fabric filter bag over the canister, but if you put a 5 micron bag over a 1 micron canister filter, I don't know that it'd be an improvement.

I also agree with Jeb...it sounds like it might be a leak somewhere on or around the DC itself. Mine developed a small leak in the hose that run from the impeller to the separator. (I wrapped it with stretch wrap to fix it.) The dark room and flashlight trick should help spot a leak if there is one.
Thanks to all,I will check out the flashlight idea! I have already wraped duct tape at all hose conections at the DC. I have noticed this occuring even in winter when shop door is closed. So don't think its air boarn from the shop. I do have a shop air filter by Jet as well mounted by the ceiling. But I don't use it as much as I should. I will also check that out. Don't know why I don't use it more often:dunno: Thanks again:thumb: