Smoking ....

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
For all of you BBQ Smokers out there.

Have you seen this?

PitMaster Iq110

yhst-128588856314212_2170_534061

I saw it on an Alton Brown BBQ special last night. Basically, it will convert your charcoal grill into a precisely temperature controlled smoker. One small pile of charcoal will keep the BBQ at 235 degrees for about 8 hours.

For something like a weber grill, you attach it to one of the vents at the bottom of the grill, block off the other 2 vents, dial up your desired temp, and lite a small pile of charcoal. This unit uses a fan to provide the optimal amount of airflow through the grill to keep the fire going a low temp for a long time.

They have adapters for Big Green eggs and other cookers as well.

It's a bit pricey and apparently they are swamped with orders now that Alton Browns show has come out, but I'll be the guinea pig for this one. I think it overloaded their website as it's no longer taking orders, but I called them up directly and placed an order this morning...

Yep. When the temp drops, it speeds up the fan, when the temp gets too hot, it slows it down.

You don't light all the coals at once either. You put a pile in there and use a little paraffin tab to get 3 to 5 coals going, and it takes it from there...

You could probably rig something up to do the same thing with an arduino and a little fan. But this is already ready already... :rolleyes:

I mean don't get me wrong, I love playing with fire and my side box smoker, but I always feel a little odd firing up that big thing for just one rack of ribs, so usually make my ribs on the weber. They turn out ok at 300 degrees for 3 hours, but i'd really like to do them a little lower and slower...

Chuck Rodekohr use's something like that on his Weber and swears by it. I can't remember whats brand he has but I know he can watch the temps from his laptop and from the sounds of everyone in the back round when I Skype him it works GREAT. (makes me hungry anyway:rofl::rofl:)