Scrap Box Concoction

Chas Jones

Body; Sweet Chestnut, Walnut and Oak.
Lid: Walnut and Ash.
A bit of head scratching on angles and dimensions, a couple of spoons full of glue and a bit of wax and something for the boss to grab as a gift for someone.

Attachments

• DSCN2890M.JPG
    DSCN2890M.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN2891M.JPG
    DSCN2891M.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 50
Curved segments

Thanks fellas, just thought I'd show you that I'm still spinning over here.

Making curved segments ? easy really once you've found a method of keeping adjoining faces square to each other.

Most of the process is shown on our UKWorkshop forum,

There are a couple of images missing, don't know what happend to them.:dunno:

:rofl:

Either you are magic with wood or you have a magic wood scrap box.
I'm afraid you must do your scrap shopping at a different store than I do!
Well having friends who burn the scraps from a funiture manufacturer for winter heating tends to mean you end up with more bags of the stuff than you know what to do with.

Attachments

• DSCN2931M.JPG
    DSCN2931M.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2932M.JPG
    DSCN2932M.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2933M.JPG
    DSCN2933M.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2934M.JPG
    DSCN2934M.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2935M.JPG
    DSCN2935M.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2936M.JPG
    DSCN2936M.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 18
Thank you Chas, for taking all that time and effort to document the process so well. Managed to follow each step and understand how it was made. I think its time i got myself some Cole jaws.
I have made a longworth chuck but either i did something wrong but it does not seem to apply the pressure or resultant fit such that the item being turned is clamped central. I can see where cole jaws will do a much better job. Any other alternatives that you could suggest?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

In all honesty Rob, I think forking out the hard earned on a set of Cole Jaws is the best solution in the long term.

I have made longworth chucks, home made cole jaws etc. in the past and all had their limitations.

As you say getting a longworth chuck to clamp with sufficient pressure to turn something like the segment ring is neigh impossible, fine for cleaning a bowl base up with tail stock support but that's about it.
Home made Cole Jaws, unless you have the means of drilling the fixing holes with the accuracy of a dividing head etc. much the same limitations on run out but with better griping power.

Cole jaws can also provide a good (adjustable face plate) clamping base for odd shaped pieces with the use of some threaded rod, long bolts etc.