Another Quickie Wood Rack

glenn bradley

As I stock up for some bedroom furniture I have in mind, the regular wood rack has gotten full. Back in 2008 I built a "temporary" quickie rack to hold stuff till I got it broken down . . . it has never left but has earned its keep. Now that I am tripping over boards again I attacked the scrap plywood pile to make yet another one. This is leftover from packing crates and so forth; real junk.

Cut it to size using a junker blade:

Quickie Wood Rack-two (1).jpg

Drill some holes:

Quickie Wood Rack-two (2).jpg

Tape them in bundles and saw out the slots:

Quickie Wood Rack-two (3).jpg

And put 'em up and load 'em:

Quickie Wood Rack-two (4).jpg Quickie Wood Rack-two (5).jpg

Ah, I have my bench back again. Just until I break down those parts, I swear. You know I feel kinda like Mahoney in the opening scenes of Police Academy: I was wrong, you really could fit one more car into that parking lot. :rofl:

Last edited:
Brent,

Glenn is used to banging his head in a woodworking shop---Mine. I had electric power cords hanging down from above to stuff that was not near a wall. I could walk under the recepticals---Glenn could not---he just banged his head on them.

He would tie a knot in all of the cords when he came to visit. This would raise the outlets enough that he could go under them.

So whats the problem with a ton of walnut in the way?

Enjoy,
Jim

The bottom of the rack is at about 6' 5". I'm 6' even. Now, even given that height plus the fact that they are out of the traffic path, I guarantee I will get nailed before I get them taken back down :rofl:

I like it :thumb: I've got a bunch of long thin strips I save for inlay bandings and the likes...might have to borrow this idea from you :thumb:... I just wouldn't be in a hurry though if I were you, to cash any royalty checks I send your way :rofl: .Thanks for sharing this!

Looks like a good idea, Glenn. :thumb: My shop (garage) ceiling is sheetrocked, so I miss out on a lot of nifty storage solutions. :( On the other hand, I've got some storage space in the "attic" above the shop. I keep things like empty boxes for my audio and video stuff up there...things I don't anticipate needing to get my hands on very often.

Glenn, I could not figure out where you were headed with that wood on the drill press making it a wood rack. :huh:
As soon as I saw it attached to the rafter, :eek::doh::thumb:! Slick!!:thumb:
My problem would be, I would make a set or two per rafter and eventually pull the whole building down on top of me. :eek::eek::doh:

I have limited space and I'm always stacking pieces I've just cut on the table of my TS. I know that it's an accident waiting to happen. Your rack just may be a solution to my problem :thumb::thumb:

I like it :thumb: I've got a bunch of long thin strips I save for inlay bandings and the likes...might have to borrow this idea from you :thumb:... I just wouldn't be in a hurry though if I were you, to cash any royalty checks I send your way :rofl: .Thanks for sharing this!

I have a small version for longer (seldom used) bar clamps. Made a set for dad too. Very quick to make and easy to get stuff in and out of.

Attachments

• Long Clamp Racks 001.jpg
    Long Clamp Racks 001.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Long Clamp Racks 002.jpg
    Long Clamp Racks 002.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 21