Assembly Table - Knock Down

glenn bradley

I think this is more a fixture than flatwork. I rarely use sheet goods and there seems to be a good amount of discussion as to how to go about breaking them down. I am making this knock-down assembly table:

assm-tbl-knock-down-1.jpg

Here's my method for dealing with ply; I use foam boards on the floor and a shop made saw guide to get a straight edge. Then using that edge I rip to width.

assm-tbl-knock-down 001.jpgassm-tbl-knock-down 002.jpg

With the overarm DC hood, this is the amount of sawdust that gets missed after a few cuts. When I'm done with it, I swing it out of the way.

assm-tbl-knock-down 003.jpgassm-tbl-knock-down 004.jpg

I set the fence to 3/4" larger than the dimension I want and then clamp on my 3/4" stop block. I also have this waxed strip of oak that locks into the router table miter slot to support the material that extends beyond the sled.

assm-tbl-knock-down 005.jpgassm-tbl-knock-down 006.jpg

Now I use the sled to trim a good perpendicular edge, slide to the stop block and cut to length. In a very short time I have gone from a sheet of plywood to the four panels I am after for the first phase of this little project.

assm-tbl-knock-down 007.jpg assm-tbl-knock-down 008.jpg

Back out to the shop . . . .

I'm back . . . .

I use the dado and the stop block to cut the lap-slots(?) I square out the cut by nibbling away on the bandsaw and here's one set of legs. Time to quit for tonight.

Attachments

• assm-tbl-knock-down 009.jpg
    assm-tbl-knock-down 009.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 42
  • assm-tbl-knock-down 010.jpg
    assm-tbl-knock-down 010.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 52
So am i correct in guessing this gives you a two for one option. One set of wood providing two different height configurable tables?

If not whats that extra slot for?:dunno:

You always seem to be one step ahead of exactly the things i need. How do know i used my table saw for an assembly table.:rofl::rofl:

By the way Glenn if you ever get to Canada i am sorry you aint gonna get to see my table saw.

When i see yours it could be on the show room floor of Sears it looks so clean and new. I aint talking just dust. But its very obvious to me you dont have anything other than wood go near that saw.:rofl::rofl: How do you get buy without using that flat surface.:rofl::rofl: Now i am going to have to go and spend the day cleaning up my saws surface.:eek::thumb:

Last edited:
How do you get buy without using that flat surface.:rofl::rofl: Now i am going to have to go and spend the day cleaning up my saws surface.:eek::thumb:

<<< please read this with all the tongue in cheek it was written with >>>>

Years ago I read an article about small shop organization. A concept was preached called "The Prime Directive". This directive states that if you cannot walk up to a floor standing tool and use it (without having to move all those items you set there for "just a moment" two weeks ago) you have violated the prime directive and should be shot :D.

Tools are tools and are for using as designed. Tables and shelves are for setting stuff on (also being used as designed). I have watched others lose hours and hours of shop time moving a pile of junk from one tool surface to the other so they could do something they should already be done with; all the while crying about how they don't have enough shop time to get anything done.

That used to be me. I committed to change and have never looked back; although I do get all holier-than-thou about it often enough :rofl::rofl::rofl: I also adopted the teachings of "clean up as you work". I turn and put the ruler back on the hook now so I will know where it is when I want it in 10 minutes. Otherwise I spend "lost" time looking for it on the bench, over on the DP or wherever I was standing when I put it down.

Here's a couple shots of the "two for one" height leg sets. I'll try to get the top knocked out in the next hour or so and post a "done" shot.

Tall: assm-tbl-dry-fit 006.jpg

Short: assm-tbl-dry-fit 007.jpg

A concept was preached called "The Prime Directive". This directive states that if you cannot walk up to a floor standing tool and use it (without having to move all those items you set there for "just a moment" two weeks ago) you have violated the prime directive and should be shot :D.

Tools are tools and are for using as designed. Tables and shelves are for setting stuff on (also being used as designed). I have watched others lose hours and hours of shop time moving a pile of junk from one tool surface to the other so they could do something they should already be done with; all the while crying about how they don't have enough shop time to get anything done.

That used to be me. I committed to change and have never looked back; although I do get all holier-than-thou about it often enough :rofl::rofl::rofl: I also adopted the teachings of "clean up as you work". I turn and put the ruler back on the hook now so I will know where it is when I want it in 10 minutes. Otherwise I spend "lost" time looking for it on the bench, over on the DP or wherever I was standing when I put it down.

I really see the wisdom in that, unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet. Working towards it and will hopefully get there some day. :thumb:

Assembly Table, Assembled

I'm not there either but, I am trying to learn from those that have BTDT :eek:.

Wow, using the overarm 2 days in a row. I think this is a record. The top panel is large enough to bring out the Mondo-sled. I can also get some of the apron parts out of it:

assm-tbl-dry-fit- 001.jpg assm-tbl-dry-fit- 003.jpg

I don’t really need the Mondo-sled to cut the apron parts to length but, its already there and I’m getting hungry.

assm-tbl-dry-fit- 004.jpg

I got distracted with something else and am running out of time. I need a quick, reliable joinery method for plywood . . . pocket holes!

assm-tbl-dry-fit- 005.jpg

I'll shellac and wax the top like most of my work surfaces. The sides and legs will get finished like my other shop fixtures; I wipe whatever I happen to have just finished using on them :rofl:.

Short legs / Long legs fit like so:

assm-tbl-dry-fit- 007.jpg assm-tbl-dry-fit- 006.jpg

Stands like so (It'll be so nice not to have to stoop and stretch as much) and stores like so (leaning behind the jointer, workbench or wherever.

assm-tbl-dry-fit- 008.jpg assm-tbl-dry-fit- 009.jpg

The whole thing weighs about what 2/3 of a sheet of 3/4" ply ought to. I started with a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood and have this leftover.

Attachments

• assm-tbl-leftovers.jpg
    assm-tbl-leftovers.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Very cool. Love the way it stores. I think that's probably one of the best features of the whole thing. :thumb: :thumb:

Got any more info on the Mondo Sled? I need to build me a panel sled one of these days. Well, a real one. I've got a little temp one I use for cutting/trimming larger panels, but it could be better, and yours looks pretty nice.

I have always felt inadequate whenever I saw your shop pictures of all the jigs, fixtures. and organizational projects. That is until I saw your old cord reel box being used for short storage. Yes, he is human and I am OK :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::D

I have always felt inadequate whenever I saw your shop pictures of all the jigs, fixtures. and organizational projects. That is until I saw your old cord reel box being used for short storage. Yes, he is human and I am OK :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::D

Oh, I should keep a gag-reel of all the stuff that is just out of frame when I take pictures. Fear not :rofl:.

Got any more info on the Mondo Sled?

The Mondo-sled was actually the first one made in the format I have used since; 3/4" BB ply base, adjustable front fence, fixed rear fence, replaceable base and fence inserts. I have others that are more "normal" in size but carry the same features. A small bevel sled has t-track to hold thin stock tight while mitering but, it too uses the same basic features. The Mondo-sled also has threaded inserts to hold a mitering fixture and so forth.

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3370

Great idea, Glenn. I'll be keeping it in mind for the future. :thumb:

Bob, he's just using the cardboard box temporarily, while the hand-rubbed finish on the quartersawn oak (with ebony accents) Greene and Greene-inspired box cures. :p

For me, the sign that he's human after all was the chipped paint on the floor of his shop. :D Also, the 4th and 5th photos clearly show a few specks of sawdust on the tablesaw. (And they're thumbing their little sawdust noses at the blade guard that's hovering overhead.) Ol' Glenn is slipping. :rofl:

The Mondo-sled was actually the first one made in the format I have used since; 3/4" BB ply base, adjustable front fence, fixed rear fence, replaceable base and fence inserts. I have others that are more "normal" in size but carry the same features. A small bevel sled has t-track to hold thin stock tight while mitering but, it too uses the same basic features. The Mondo-sled also has threaded inserts to hold a mitering fixture and so forth.

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3370

Thanks for the link Glenn. Very good build. Might have to make one of those.

I love using my sled for most cross cuts. I rarely use a miter gauge because the sled is so handy, but mine needs a big brother... :thumb: