Punk Rock for my Crank Organ

Learning to turn a roll of paper into sound is awesome. I had to re-read some music theory, and figure out how to cut 22 feet of paper at 5 1/2 inches to fit my organ. I made some custom tools so I can measure every note to scale. The result was me cutting small squares for 2 days and throwing it out in the trash! I made one wrong harmonizing note through out the tune, and my paper was ruined. I tried to tape the holes but it ended up warping. Anyway second time was a charm! :) I picked a very simple punk rock tune and learned the notes on the piano before I cut in on the paper. It's my first run and hopefully I will build a hole punching machine to make things A LOT easier next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8XZddfdd8

Attachments

• IMG_5410.JPG
    IMG_5410.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5413.JPG
    IMG_5413.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5414.JPG
    IMG_5414.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5417.JPG
    IMG_5417.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5519.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5415.jpg
    IMG_5415.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 35
Un believable! you cut that all by hand! :thumb: :thumb:

Very well done Mario! I can already see you going to street fairs and totally surprising folks with the custom music reels...

I've put together music in piano roll form on the computer in a sequencer, but that's one thing to just move the notes around. You really have to be committed to make the cuts, by hand, on paper. I am truly impressed! :thumb:

Mario...thats just crazy that you punched all that by hand. OR was it MAGIC ??????? Great job and yes, I think that will be a "one of a kind".
I dont know the band or song....does that show my age :dunno:
Anyway...I look forward to see what you come up with next.

Thanks everyone!!! @Vaughn I think it could very well be the first punk rock song cut for a crank organ! lol

Thanks @Jonathan!!

@Brent I started with the Star Wars Main theme song but it was a flop. Most songs by NOFX have a consistent musical riff throughout the song, so that helped me out a lot! That's awesome that you use a computer. I don't even know where to start with that. Do you have custom paper? is it all in midi? I want to do that one day. The exacto-knife and ruler thing gets old really fast!

@Tom the song is about 15 years old, you must be really old! lol i'm KIDDING! The band is not very popular at all. They were never signed to a major label. NOFX was the band we all sang along to in high school. Some of my best memories is this song playing full blast, driving with my friends to school, and singing at the top of our lungs. how are the monkeys coming along? did you get them paired up? It was tuff for me to see everything through email.

@Brent I started with the Star Wars Main theme song but it was a flop. Most songs by NOFX have a consistent musical riff throughout the song, so that helped me out a lot! That's awesome that you use a computer. I don't even know where to start with that. Do you have custom paper? is it all in midi? I want to do that one day. The exacto-knife and ruler thing gets old really fast!

Lots of midi sequencers have a 'piano roll' mode that looks very similar to to what you did by hand. Picture a graph with the keys of the piano going up and down and time running along the bottom. Same exactly concept...
One is virtual and yours is manifested in the real world! :thumb:

@Jay I would love to learn to make one. If you come across plans, let me know!

Thanks @Rich! I really really wanted this song to play on my organ. I have to get a new plan for the next song I do.

@Brent - I've seen downloads for software like that. I have to look into it more, that would save a lot of time, and probably make a more precise piece of music.

Mario, you have my utmost respect for your song. I really think this kind of adventure and experimenting is fantastic. I can see a reel note puncher in the future and a lot more music :);)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I dont know what else to add, other than, Super, Mario, really super mario!

but ya got the whole thing goin on with the monkey, the wind up organ, I think most will expect Entry of the Gladiators to be piping out of that box.
Maybe some black and red paint, and spike your hair up, then youd be gettin into character. BTW, I loved it, and its hard to let people know I love punk rock since IM 56 y/o(although my favorite listening music these days are Bowling for Soup and My Chemical Romance)