Air Gun-refillable spray bottle-hose reel

Dan Mosley

Did not do to much today but finish up repairing a few things that I use in turning. I broke my cheap northern tool blow gun with its extension so I put it back together and used 2 ton epoxy to hold it. I then went out to the air and hose shop here locally to buy a section of hose with fitting to go from my compressor to a new hose reel I bought from Northern Tool.

Picture 1 - the hose reel I bought and I really like it........5 5tars

While I was at the hose shop one of the workers demo'd a blow gun they have at the shop and for sale. The Mfg is Coil Hose Pneumatics - it is called the Typhoon - I was impressed at how powerful it was - cost $20 plus another $12 for the extension. There are several extensions you can buy and two types of guns - one made of steel and the other aluminum. I bought the aluminum one it was lighter to handle. I can blow the garage out in a second and it plenty powerful......................5 Stars

Pictures 2-6 - The Typhoon blow gun

When I got back home a package was there with some refillable spray bottles I bought for touch up and small turnings and finials. I was not impressed and found the spray patterns poor even when thinned down by 1/3. I would say they would work well for WD-40 or something like that but not lacquer or varnish. It will hold up to 150psi with a safety blow off on it but when the tips are on it just does not spray in a fan pattern like the store bought Deft or whatever.
Pictures 7-8......................3 stars

Attachments

• P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 62
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 57
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 63
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 44
You should have asked about the air bottles we could have clued you in. Nice looking reel & blow gun.
A leaf blower works well too.

What is the ugly brown & white thing in the back ground??? Kinda looks like a lathe but could be a boat anchor.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Oh well nothin a little scrubbing & a can of brown paint wouldn't take care of. Brown paint that's a joke son.:eek::):D:thumb::wave::doh:

Last edited:
Sorry to see the spray can was a bust.

...Nice looking reel & blow gun.
A leaf blower works well too...

I agree with Bart on the reel and gun. :thumb: I've tried a leaf blower in the shop, but it can't be pointed as accurately as a blow gun or nozzle. With a leaf blower, I pretty much blow everything off the bench. With a blow gun, I can be more selective.

Congratulations on your new toys. :thumb: A least the ones that work for you. I think you were gracious with your 3 stars.

Did you air up the cans to 125 psi? I have been using one (a different brand) for over 20 years with no problems. Did yours come with instructions? Mine called for 12 psi. I bleed down my compressor to about that and then charge the can. You may try emptying it into a container and trying again, messy I know.
If the pressure is not "about" right the product will not be atomized. Or they just supplied cheap cheap nozzles. Even a $2 can of paint will put down a fair coating.
My Accuspray HVLP turbine (about $1800) sprays at 7 psi.

Mike - i put a mixture of lacquer in the can to a bit more than 1/3 full. I mixed spraying lacquer in a seperate container with a a ratio of 2/3 Lacquer and 1/3 Lacquer thinner. I did this intentionally because the instructions said it would only work well with "thin" liquids. This was plenty thin........filled it to 150psi......the pop off valve lets you know........Then sprayed it..........poor pattern with every nozzle.........took the fluid out and filled it up with Lacquer thinner and cleaned it up well.......even sprayed it with the lacquer thinner in it........same issue..........yep im sure its the junky tips that come with it.......and I bought extra tips ($2.00) that matched the unit....same kind and junk...........tried other tips in my garage and non would fit on correctly..............
With different higher quality tips it may work well............but until I can find tips that will work im kinda stuck......................It would work well for WD-40 and other shop uses but not for finishing.................
Sooooo...................back to the Badger and Critter....spraying at 20-24 psi.........they work fine..........................

The blow gun I would buy again and again I can not say enough how impressive it works. When the guy at the shop demo'd it for me and let me try it .....it sold itself
Called the Typhoon ................named correctly.................LOL

The Reel is a nice addition to my limited space garage and keep the hose up out of the way neatly.........price is good and good quality steel construction.......
The fittings took a bit of trial and error but when done I really like it

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Dan,
Sorry you had problems with your spray cans. Maybe you purchased them based upon some post I made about mine working fine? I won’t make any recommendations in the future for this type product.

Glad your hose reel and extension is working out well. I may try to build an extension for mine but it probably takes some engineering to keep the pressure from dropping too much before the nozzle. The extension should help in not blowing all the dust into my face as I try to clean. :D

Hi Dan Maybe I can't properly but how does that hose reel work? Looks like the hand crank can't spin round and round. :huh:

Guy, although it looks like handle is mounted directly to the wheel, it's not. The lighting makes it difficult to see the rest of the crank. Here's a tweaked version of Dan's photo that shows the crank on the outside of the bracket a little better:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dan's Hose Reel.jpg
    Dan's Hose Reel.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 48
Vaughn - very good..............thanks.............and in the picture you can now see that handle is on the outside - a couple fittings from the hardware store and a trip to the hydraulic hose shop for a short pc to get from the reel to the compressor and its working great.

:eek: Oh boy it's pretty clear when I look closely on the left side of the hose. Looking on the right side it looks connected to the side. I need to spend more time with those photograph comparison games where you have to find the differences. Feeling a little weak :eek: