Under TV Cabinet design - Getting back to the roots

rob is just a toughie, isn't he?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

give this a shot rennie, make the legs a bit narrower, about 2 1/4" sqare, and eliminate the taper at the bottom. the narrow the stiles on the sides, wide ones don't seem quite right, then you can widen the rails, then widen and flatten out the arch on the sides, so they reflect the front arc. then try something different other than drawers, possibly a pair of framed glass doors, with the shelves behind them.

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

rob is just a toughie, isn't he?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

give this a shot rennie, make the legs a bit narrower, about 2 1/4" sqare, and eliminate the taper at the bottom. the narrow the stiles on the sides, wide ones don't seem quite right, then you can widen the rails, then widen and flatten out the arch on the sides, so they reflect the front arc. then try something different other than drawers, possibly a pair of framed glass doors, with the shelves behind them.

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:
Rob's heart is in the right place....medically speaking.:D

SWIMBO did not want to go for the tapered legs so I switched gears more towards a Stickley inspired design but keeping some of the G&G details - with LOTS of help from Dave Richards.:thumb::thumb:

This version has cloud lift rails and ebony plugs. I think I'm getting closer.:D

As for the drawers, SWIMBO fell in love with an apothecary style cabinet that she wants for another wall in the same room. I'm working on the mate for that so I'm kinda stuck with the drawer look. Once the TV cabinet is designed it will be a easy task to design the storage cabinet as it is the same height, just longer and shallower.

TV Cabinet Cloud 1.jpgTV Cabinet Cloud 2.jpgTV Cabinet Cloud 3.jpg

so far, so good rennie!:D:thumb:

i had to check something in the g&g book by peart before commenting. with the pegs, what about offsetting them? the top one in the top right corner to the top right, and the bottom one in the bottom right corner, to the bottom right. you'd have to carry the pegs all the way around though, not just in the front. if she's pushing for the apothacary type of drawer, why not make them in the shape of square tsubos? i think that would give it an interesting look.

Hi Rennie,

You sure managed to make me feel like what I am. That is, totally incompetent in SketchUp. That darn program grabbed me by the tail and tied me in knots.

Watching your cabinet progress has really been interesting. It is a good thread.

Thanks and Enjoy,
Jim

Continuing along the G&G line a little, I've added a top with bread board ends. Not sure how this will look in QSWO as opposed to mahogany.:dunno:

As always, comments are welcome and invited. You have all been a huge help in moving this design along. I might even get to cut some wood soon! :rofl::rofl:

TV Cabinet BB1.jpgTV Cabinet BB2.jpgTV Cabinet BB3.jpg

Oh yeah. Now its coming together. When I am struggling with the design phase I just have to keep at it till I start to kinda "feel" it. If I get close and hit the wall I just switch over to something else and let the current design percolate awhile. I think you have definitely hit that ah-ha moment on this one.

Interesting observation; LOML is a fan of G&G but, not all the way. the details that stall her enthusiasm are the tapers and over-extended table tops. They look "too Asian" for her(?).

I'm just a bit off kilter sometimes but, I would be tempted to take that taper at the tip of the foot and cloud lift it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just wondering if the drawer pulls on the drawers really fit with the overall G&G design.

A few pics I just pulled from the interwebs.

IMG_3615.jpg

053.JPG

Greene%20and%20Greene%20Style%20Custom%20%20Executive%20Desk%20Computer%20Work%20Station-67007.jpg

Oh yeah. Now its coming together...
I'm just a bit off kilter sometimes but, I would be tempted to take that taper at the tip of the foot and cloud lift it.

Hmmmm:huh: Cloud lift legs.....:huh::dunno: I could pull out my jig for the indented legs...

Just wondering if the drawer pulls on the drawers really fit with the overall G&G design.

A few pics I just pulled from the interwebs.

Yep, the shaker knobs might have to go, but since there will be a total of 36 knobs between the two cabinets I might shy away from something home made and super detailed.:eek:

:eek::eek:Gee Rob, don't beat around the bush. Tell me what you really mean! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well Rennie the way i look at it is there are quiet a few who are regulars here now, each knows where the other has their bar.

You already shown us how high you got your bar so when you ask for comments i dont see you benefiting if we just give you atta boys. :)

Toni C has already mentioned this before than it helps us little if we ask for cirtique and then everyone trys to do the super polite thing and just say "nice things".

This unit is for yourself, but it can also serve as a sample of what you are capable of from design to completion. You need some of these types of projects under your belt to have pictures of for your macro goals.

So i thought you should be stretching yourself rather than living in your comfort zone.

Once we have all made a dovetail or two or cut a mortise and tennon and got it right and left the plywood and pressure treated construction stuff behind us, to me the challenge is to pass beyond the easy straight cut machined look to the more creative look. But thats only my view.

Some like production so its important to them how much they put out in a certain amount of time as if there is a boss watching when they do their hobby.

I keep thinking and being inspired by some of the work i have seen here by pros that no longer frequent our forum. I try to think of aspiring to their levels. But each to his own.

I am very sorry if my comment hurt you, that sure was not the intention. :eek:

what i was thinking, was that you would have to connect the rails to the legs with tenons, hence the pegs on the sides. i've taken the liberty of a little redesign of the drawer faces. they may look bigger, but they're the same width and height as the original. what i did was to measure 1/8" in from each side, and drew an arc. then i added a quick and dirty idea for a pull. hope this gives you something to think on, and go, hmmmmm.....

(i seem to remember going through something like this with last year's fair table, and one other item that i cannot remember at this time. lots of redesigns and such, and dave and the gang rode me hard to do better each time.)

Attachments

• TVCabinet mkII drawer mod.png
    TVCabinet mkII drawer mod.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 21
I am very sorry if my comment hurt you, that sure was not the intention. :eek:

Absolutely no offense taken!:D:wave: I know where you're coming from and you are 100% correct - thanks for the challenge!

what i was thinking, was that you would have to connect the rails to the legs with tenons, hence the pegs on the sides. i've taken the liberty of a little redesign of the drawer faces. they may look bigger, but they're the same width and height as the original. what i did was to measure 1/8" in from each side, and drew an arc. then i added a quick and dirty idea for a pull. hope this gives you something to think on, and go, hmmmmm.....

(i seem to remember going through something like this with last year's fair table, and one other item that i cannot remember at this time. lots of redesigns and such, and dave and the gang rode me hard to do better each time.)

Thanks Dan - I will hmmmmm over them. :D Like I said, I'll need 36 in all. Something worth noodling over.:huh:

i wasn't too fond of that first pull design, so i whipped up another one....

rob, when are you really gonna start cracking down on him?:gonnagetit:, you've been too easy.....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• TVCabinet mkII drawer mod II.png
    TVCabinet mkII drawer mod II.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 15
Well Dan i liked the previous one better. :)

Now as to the original I think it only fair i explain what got me going.

When i was a tot my mom had a singer sewing machine. I can remeber the look of that table with the draws down the side so at first glance this is what i recalled and thought no ways would i want to be reminded of that machine and the number of times i got my fingers hurt in it each time i watched TV.:rofl:

Here is a pic of what i am refering to ...... see the familiarity Rennie.;)

Now do we here a hint of you chickening out on your design because there are 36 repetitions to be done.:D