from the same tree

Not the best pics as i didn't take the time to set up more lights, so these will have to do.:rofl: As the title says these are all from that maple tree that i got all them nice burls. The hollow form wasn't real figured so i decided to dye it this red color hoping to help it out. the bowl is just danish oil with lacquar. nothin real good, as i wanted a hollow form out of this piece, but the one i tried mins before blew up on me when it was all most finished. :eek: So i chickened out and did this simple bowl instead. The little green box had been sitting around for a while and i didn't know what to do with it. So i dyed it blueish green and put a top on it with this funkie little finial on it. Don't really like how the pic shows the finial, but in real time everyone that has seen it really likes it, so not sure i'll change it or not. thanks and as always all C&C more than welcome.

Attachments

• 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 007 [800x600].JPG
    007 [800x600].JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 011 [800x600].JPG
    011 [800x600].JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 012 [800x600].JPG
    012 [800x600].JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 015 [800x600].JPG
    015 [800x600].JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 49
Red One: Form and flow are spot on to my eyes. I like the color, too. The finial is superb. :bow: I'm still amazed how much your finials have improved over the last year or so. Beautiful piece.

Green One: Another great piece. I might have tweaked the curve where the lid meets the box a little differently, but what you did flows nicely in my opinion. I also think the finial is a great topping to the whole Oriental look this piece has going on. The color works for me.

Natural One: And yet another fine bit of work. You did a good job on the steep-walled ogee form, and the wood looks spectacular.

So all in all, yep, those'll do. :yes: :D

Hi,

I'm with Vaughn on the shape, flow and color of number one.

I am with the "funkie little finial" lovers. That top is perfect for that bowl shape and color.

I like the shape of number three. However, the wood itself is too busy for me to want to live with it for an extended time. It is kinda like red bathroom fixtures or black kitchen appliances. They look great for awhile, but not for the long run.

Thanks for showing. When I can do that well I am going to be one cocky son of a gun with a swelled head.

Enjoy,
Jim

well done steve and even my oldest daughter was looking over my shoulder and liked them, that green one strikes me the most because of color and shape combo.. the final on the first one as vaughn said is top notch.

Stephen, It's always a treat to see your work. I too really like the red one. Can you tell me the size of it? Can I assume that this is cut from a blank that did NOT include the pith?

Great job!

Thanks again all. Rob it sorta suprises me that so many of ya like the green one. As it's not one of my favorite. Larry now is this the one you had me make the winged bowl for? Ether way i'm glad she liked them.:) Tom the HF is 7 1/2 x7 1/2 to the top of the finial. And yes i did cut the pith out of this and most every thing i turn. In this pic you can see the half logs it came from. These are 18 to 20 inches long by 12 to 15 inches wide. when i get ready to turn something i'll just cut them up the rest of the way. This way if i do get some checking i can cut it out.

Attachments

• 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 11
Stephen, that is an excellent batch of turnings! I love the colors of all three. I am not into oriental shaped bowls but that green one is my choice of the three. In the picture the horizontal finial reminds me of barb wire. Don't know if it would in real life, but it is cool!
Finials are finicky, mine still are to clumsy/boinker looking. That finial on the red one is top notch!!
And who wouldn't be proud to eat popcorn out of that bowl!!! Love looking at your work! :thumb::thumb: