Garrett Hack Wall Cabinet - Again

I had to dig around for that scratch stock but, I did find it. The red mark is a depth guide; when it gets "erased" I am at full depth.

GH Wall Cabinet- 015.jpg GH Wall Cabinet- 016.jpg

The bead adds a nice finished touch to the back (sweet detail, Garrett).

GH Wall Cabinet- 017.jpg GH Wall Cabinet- 018.jpg

I have been breaking down parts for another project and been side tracked with painting the front door but, I managed to get the crown molding done. The shooting board makes fitting these things so much easier.

Just as Garrett did in the video. I clamp the over-long front piece in place and use it to register the first side. Once the first side is glued on, register the front piece to it and cut to length. Then add the last side.

GH Wall Cabinet-y 002.jpg

This gives it a much more finished look. I will get to the door eventually.

GH Wall Cabinet-y 013.jpg

It is good for me to have something to fiddle with between parts prep sessions and sub-assembly glue-ups. I wouold recommend having a small side project like this to anyone if you are like me and tend to lose focus if forced to come to a full stop while watching things dry ;).

407, 481

Last edited:
Back At It

September!?! This thing has been sitting in the corner since September!?! Wow. And to think I started this so I would have something to fiddle with during downtime while working on the Chest of Drawers :rolleyes:. As a wise man once said "Be that as it may . . ."

Note to self: "reset stops on the tripod; pictures look like they were taken by a drunken sailor". All kidding aside, it is interesting to see the freshly planed material and the contrast with the material that has been sitting around in the open air for several months. I wonder if they will catch up to each other before I get to the finish schedule?

GH Wall Cabinet 23.jpg GH Wall Cabinet 24.jpg

Like Garrett demonstrates in the article, I am going to "work from the reality of the case" and take my measurements story stick style. Here I have laid out the positions for the rails so I can make the mortises.

GH Wall Cabinet 25.jpg

Sure feels good to be making some sawdust.

I keep the scraps from previous tenon stock around for small projects like this:

MP tenon stock.jpg

You've all seen the Mortise Pal at work before. In just a few minutes I have the frame M&T's done and can move on:

GH wall cabinet 26.jpg

I found an interesting piece of cherry that I like for the floating door panel:

GH wall Cabinet 27.jpg GH wall Cabinet 28.jpg

I draw some witness lines so I will know when to stop the raise:

GH wall Cabinet 29.jpg GH wall Cabinet 30.jpg GH wall Cabinet 31.jpg

Then take some planes and go at it.

GH wall Cabinet 32.jpg GH wall Cabinet 33.jpg

I am happy with the results so far. I need to take a break and run to the store with LOML for some domestic supplies (lunches for next week). I hope to finish the panel up before bed and get the frame glued up.

Last edited:
I like the idea of using the tenoning jig on the router table. I would never have thought of it. The pecan has a good-looking grain pattern in it. Can't wait to see it finished. Looking good so far.

Frank

Its nice when (unlike most times) I set a goal and reach it. I wanted the door in glue up before I knocked off tonight.

GH Wall Cabinet 34.jpgGH Wall Cabinet 35.jpg

Yay.

'Bout time you got back after this project.
impatient.gif

The door and panel are looking good, Glenn. :thumb:

I put a piece of tape to ride the plane on to guide me while putting a slight bevel on the door to allow clearance. LOML hated this shade of lipstick so I use it for marking stuff.

GH Wall Cabinet 36.jpgGH Wall Cabinet 37.jpg

A little plane work and mount the door and I end up here:

GH Wall Cabinet 38.jpgGH Wall Cabinet 39.jpg

Now I need to make a couple of small drawers (or not), nail the back on and put some finish on it. I think I'm keeping this one.

Last edited:
Really nice, Glenn! I am sure Garrett would say the same thing. There is room for one more, if you want to hear it directly from him.

Port Townsend School.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm keepin' this one. . . Now I just have to clear somewhere to hang it that is near the bench. The pull I got for a buck off of a Lowe's clearance table.

GH Wall Cabinet 40.jpgGH Wall Cabinet 41.jpgGH Wall Cabinet 42.jpg

I don't have the magnetic catch glued in as I wanted to snap some pics before I set it aside; so the door is ajar ;-) The last pic shows the bead detail on the three-panel back.

GH Wall Cabinet 43.jpgGH Wall Cabinet 44.jpg

Last edited:
well done glenn,, now fill me in on why the lipstick???
I use it to dab on any "blind" item I want to mark from. Kind of like a dowel center is used to mark dowel positions. I was marking the hinge screw positions. This also works for marking strikes for catches; put the catch on, add a dab of lipstick, close the door and the lipstick leaves a mark where the strike should go.

Here's a shot of the back tacked on.

GH Wall Cabinet 40.jpg

I had visions of this guy holding some of my special smaller hand tools but, it ended up in the house holding some items that belonged to my Grandpa and my Dad when they were young. You know, before electricity :D. The Kodak photographic timer on top still works. Inside is everything from hand-powered hair clippers to a folding ruler and a cloth tape measure to an array of metal bodied "automatic" pencils and small pocket knives. I just kinda stuck things in there. LOML will hopefully help me arrange them more appropriately.

GH Wall Cabinet 41.jpg . GH Wall Cabinet 42.jpg

The "lady's leg" jack knife has got to be my favorite.

GH Wall Cabinet 43.jpg

Last edited: