Dem Bones!

Stuart Ablett

One of the shops I deliver to, the master is a really neat guy, great food and is always happy, and always something interesting is going on, today this is what greeted me......
tsuzuku_bones1.jpg

....he was using a spoon to scoop out the meat that was left on the bones of a very large tuna, he says is tastes VERY good as sashimi.

The fist pic was taken inside, he suggested that we move outside where the light was better.....
tsuzuku_bones2.jpg

tsuzuku_bones3.jpg

..then he got me to hold it and took a pic......
tsuzuku_bones4.jpg

.....my shirt stank like tuna all day, and yes, those gloves got washed right away!

That must have been one big fish!

from what i have seen in caught tuna i would quess that one to weight 5 to 6 hundred. saw a 437lb yellow fin that was shorter than that one..

This bone rack is missing nearly 2' on the tail end and another 18" of head, so that fish would be a LOT bigger than just the spine in the pic :eek:

Did the master buy the entire 'side' of tuna and serve it to his customers?

Or did he buy just the carcass to scrape the meat next to the ribs?

I look at that spine and think, could I dry it and make a pen out of it.

And, now that it has been played with and drug around in the street, let's scrape the meat off and eat it raw!:eek: :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Did the master buy the entire 'side' of tuna and serve it to his customers?

Or did he buy just the carcass to scrape the meat next to the ribs?

Just the spine to scrape off the meat, this time.

Once or twice a year he buys the whole thing, he has a special knife on his wall in a case that is about 4' long, no kidding, that he uses to carve up a whole tuna, can't wait for that one! :thumb:

im envious Stu! Raw fresh tuna is delicious!
Did he serve you some before you left?

No, I was in a hurry and this is cash money to him, so I'd not indulge, he has given us other treats before, for example he gets horseradish from Hokkaido that is 6 or 7 years old, HUGE pieces, you grind that up and put it on hot fresh Japanese white rice, and it is REALLY good, I could not believe it!

... for example he gets horseradish from Hokkaido that is 6 or 7 years old, HUGE pieces, you grind that up and put it on hot fresh Japanese white rice, and it is REALLY good, I could not believe it!

That sounds interesting. I have been cultivating a horseradish patch for two years and thought I'd try it this year. Sounds like it improves with more years growth. When you say really good, do you mean it really cleaned out your sinuses, or did it have an unexpected flavor?

That sounds interesting. I have been cultivating a horseradish patch for two years and thought I'd try it this year. Sounds like it improves with more years growth. When you say really good, do you mean it really cleaned out your sinuses, or did it have an unexpected flavor?

It was strong in taste, but the unexpected combo of the strong fresh horseradish and the mild tasting rice was really good :thumb: it was almost sweet in taste because of the balance:D