Supernova2 or oneway

Rich Soby

I am going to start budgeting for a chuck for my lathe. I am looking at the Supernova 2 and the Oneway stronghold.
What do you folks use and how do you feel about either of these choices?
Is the stronghold worth the extra hundred bucks over the supernova 2?

i have both and use them regularly. The Oneway in my opinion is superior but this is only my sense of things. Both chucks are great and I would recommend either.

Pete

thanks guys. that psi looks good as well. the only exception being it has no back to protect the inner workings. but besides that it has good reviews.
Anyone got a 3 sided coin I can flip?:D

Cannot speak directly on the Nova or the Oneway, but I have the PSI Barracuda II with the TiN Finish. It does have a cover on the back. I don't turn real big things, but it has held everything I have used it for.

The reason I went with PSI is that you get a lot of different jaws for the price, where with the Nova you had to buy most of them separately.

Here is the link to the special edition Barracuda II:

http://www.click-2-customer.com/con...ate_id=503&date=2011-08-29+21:35:10&cust_id=0

Last edited:
I have a couple of Nova chucks (G3 and SN2), and used to own a Barracuda 2.

The Barracuda is a good serviceable chuck, and an excellent value for the money, since it includes multiple jaws for the price. The Nova chucks are a few steps ahead of the PSI chucks in fit, finish, and overall quality, in my opinion. I have absolutely no complaints about mine. The Oneway chucks have an excellent reputation, but I'm not convinced they are $100 better than the SN2.

I can not say anything about the others mentioned because I have 2 SN2 chucks and like them. They were the first I bought for my lathe and have stuck with them.............

Rich, my G3 has an open back, and I've seen no disadvantage to having it that way. In fact, it's easier to clean than my SN2. That said, I've never had to clean a chuck with anything more than compressed air. I don't use any lubricant on the inner workings, so there's really nothing to get gummed up.

Thanks again everybody, and thanks for that bit on your g3 Vaughn. Having never used one and not knowing.. I have read reviews/articles and that seemed to be the biggest complaint was no back and that it was causing premature wear. All three brands seem to have quite a bit to offer. nova and oneway being the older kids on the block. psi being the up and commer. I seem to be coming back to the nova although I have seen a couple of complaints about run out in the new models (im sure if I looked hard enough I could find the same about the oneway and the psi as well) My other consideration is that if I really got caught up in this and get serious about it (which I hope to) and turn (no pun intended) it into a commercial venture (which I also hope to) There are many galleries around where I live. I would like to get a bigger lathe than the one I have. So I also want to make sure that whatever I buy for this one I can use on the new one and they all seem to have that adaptablilty with the threaded insert/adapters.

BTW, In case you have not seen it, the current issue of Wood magazine has review on lathe chucks including the three discussed here. IMO the review was a little sparse, but they did say every chuck they looked at basically did the job. If I remember, there biggest complaint was the length of the screw center that came with some of the models.

Given that, it is probably not worth fretting too much over which one to get, they all seem to perform well. If you feel good about the Nova, go with that. That was my choice until I saw that PSI had a big sale on for the Barracuda II.

Rich,
I have never used a Oneway but I have not heard any bad reports either.

I have 2-SN, 1-G3, 1-SN2. The G3 will do almost everything a SN2 will with the exception of using the Powergip jaws and I think the 130mm.
My SN’s and G3 are open back and I can’t tell a difference from the SN2. I do like Vaughn and hit them with the air gun occasionally. I do not use oil/grease but spray the workings with aerosol graphite so there is no residue when the carrier evaporates.

I guess a production turner can wear them out but for me only turning the gears a few times on weekends…that’s a lot of steel to wear out.

I purchased the SN2 first, then the G3, then the SN’s.

It seems there were quite a few problems with run out for a while but I believe most came down to a retailer selling non-Nova inserts. I did notice this retailer now list two inserts in the 1X8; an insert made for Nova chucks and a Nova insert. I would buy the Nova insert.

I got my sales flyer yesterday from Woodcraft and they have the SN2 for $140 but the insert ($23?) is separate. (Plus maybe shipping and taxes)
The G3 is still available new on the bay for $125 total (insert and shipping included)
You can also get the G3 ($75) or SN2 ($100) reconditioned with warranty. I assume the insert is extra but may be included.
http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm

I have a SN2 and a G3 and use and like both. I have used the Oneway Talon several times and do not much care for the serrated jaws. It is more comparable to the G3 since the SN2 is a larger chuck.

Chucks

I had a supernova and a supernova 2 and I got rid of both of them. I have 4 oneway's (2 - talons and 2 origional oneways) and 3 Vicmarcs (VM90, VM100, VM120). I really like Vicmarcs for the large variey of jaws and different opening sizes than the Oneways. You can get dovetail jaws to go on the Oneways. Nice part about that is you can choose the best option for what you are turning.

Vernon

I happen to prefer Oneway chucks and have several. I started out with the original Nova scroll chucks which still work great. They are hard threaded-no adapter. I had a Supernova and got rid of it. I have the OW scroll, Talon and Stronghold. All work very well and are still made in Canada by a family owned company. Not sure where Novas are made anymore. I have never had a single problem with any of my OW chucks.

As Vernon alluded to, give Vicmarcs a serious look too.

I have used the PSI chucks and can only say you get what you pay for.

Best of luck with your turning aspirations,

Don't overlook the PSI series, at least, for consideration.

Agree with Frank... PSI chucks are pretty good... I don't have the single keyed type, wish I did... I use the Barracuda II (I think) and they (I have 2) have held every thing I put on them... it's a little cumbersome trying to load a heavy bowl blank with one hand and trying to tighten the two tommy bars with the other... but I usually get it done.

Also don't overlook Grizzly... they have several that are reasonable in cost.

In whatever forum, on whatever tool subject, you will have diverse answers and sometimes heated words. I have numerous SN's, Oneways, and Vicmarcs. I can't help it, I'm a tool junky with two shops (in VA and SC). I've got at least 6 of each. My go to chucks are invariably the Vicmarc 120's. They are incredibly sturdy, have backplates to keep the dust out, use dovetailed (so do the SN's) jaws which I like, and are better at repeating cuts. I find that taking a blank off a chuck and then putting it back on requires more redefinition on the other chucks than on the Vicmarcs. Could I live exclusively with the other two brands? Absolutely, but I would trade them for Vicmarcs without hesitation.
Hilel

Rich i am the last of the big turners can list on two hands the number of items turned. I have only one chuck and its a one way.
When i choose it the jaws, single key, and holding it in my hands and feeling it work were what made it for me.
Other things that pushed it over the top for me was Canadian made and the adapters availble so if i ugrade from my (discovered to be junky lathe) my goodchuck could go with me.
You got a lathe yet?
That part to me now dictates more effort and research than the chuck. Oh how i regret not being a member of this forum at the time i bought my lathe. :(

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I bought a Vicmarc VM100 chuck and found out the grizzly chuck is a clone. It runs about $105 and you can use the Vic jaws on it. I have 4 of the grizzly chucks (lazy, don't like changing jaws) for less than 2 Vic's would cost. I also have a oneway and like the griz chucks better.