Another Vase in the Series

Here is another vase in the series. It is elm with a maple base. I had a suggestion that I make the base 2/3's of the rim width. So the rim is 5" across and the base is 3". I didn't dye it as the wife wanted to see what it would look like without the dye. Anyway here it is.

Attachments

• Elm Vase 7.jpg
    Elm Vase 7.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Elm Vase 8.jpg
    Elm Vase 8.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I like this one Bernie. The finish is great. The shape seems to flow well and the two colors go well with one another. I also think the base size has a sturdy look to it.

Thanks Tom. I had several PM's from turners saying that they thougtht the foot should be at least 2/3's the size of the rim would be better so thought I would give it a go. I will be trying it on a scalloped form to see what it looks like.

Wow Bernie, that is a fantastic form on that super rare light/dark wood. I cannot ever remember, is the dark wood from under the ground or the light wood????:eek::huh::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That is a fantastic form and I am envious!:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Jonathan. Going to be doing a few more when we get back. Grandma thinks she needs to see the grandkids.:D Going to experiment with different designs. I do like the bigger base as it makes it a little more stable.

Nicely done, Bernie. :thumb: I do like the larger foot. Maybe just a tad smaller, though. Visually, this one looks more balanced to me. (I don't really worry about the stability, just the looks.) ;)

Thanks. Vaughn I think I will cut the base down by maybe 1/4" to 1/2" and see how it looks. This one doesn't look bad at all but I am like you it does seem just a little large.

stolen idea

Bernie, I just wanted to tell you, that when you weren't looking, I stole your scallop idea and put it on a bowl. I'll post a pic as soon as the finish dries. I'll upload the video, as soon as I get it put together.