Square bowl

Rich Soby

Tried my hand at a square bowl. got the ends a little too thin and chipped them out a bit. And I need to work on my tool edges to get a better shear cut for smoothness. As always, CC welcome:D

squarebowl001.jpg

squarebowl002.jpg

squarebowl003.jpg

Man, you were skating on the edge in the thinness department. :eek: :D You did a fine job, especially for a first outing. :thumb: What kind of wood is it? And how big is it? I'll bet it's light as a feather. :thumb:

C&C-wise, I do see a couple of tool marks that in most cases could be sanded out, but in this case, I think you were running out of wood to sand. I've been bitten by the same dog. :D On the chipped edge, I know some guys have trimmed the edges of square bowls on a tablesaw or bandsaw, but it's a potentially dangerous cut if done wrong. If the bowl is face up during the cut, the wood you're cutting is held in mid-air above the table. That's serious kickback or blade-kinking potential. If it's face down, only the corners are touching the table, and the wood loses support as the cut is being made, pinching the blade in the end, and also risking kickback.

Thanks everyone! This endeavor was to see just how thin I could get the stock. It may have about 1/4 to 5/16 on the bottom but I think I got it down to about an eighth taper up the sides to about 3/32 at the edges. They were flapping at the end there.

Man, you were skating on the edge in the thinness department. :eek: :D You did a fine job, especially for a first outing. :thumb: What kind of wood is it? And how big is it? I'll bet it's light as a feather. :thumb:

It's cherry from some of the cut offs I have left over from the kitchen project
the rough piece was 9-1/2 inches by 1-1/4 thick. I did try to clean up a couple of edges where the corners blew out on the ts. I ran it face down but the problem I had was it would drop into the insert and fetch up on the outfeed. I had to ease it into the blade and then shut the saw off to remove the piece after the second cut I figured I was using up some of my nine lives :eek:and just sanded best I could.

Really nice for a first. 3/32" is pretty thin but does not look bad. Like was said never say a word and nobody will know the difference. They will think you intended for it to be that way.