Whats on you Bench this weekend? 3/2/2007

Spoon!

P3040043.jpg

Last edited:
WARNING- THREAD DRIFT!

Man, can I ever agree with that. I have been slowly working on that in my shop. My problem has been figuring out where to put things so that
  • They are convenient
  • Easy to get to
  • Easy to put back up
It's just to darn easy to lay it on the bench and let it pile up. Mine is getting better but I still haven't totally decided on where I want my machinery. So I have been hesitant about putting some thing on the wall.

For example I find at my shaper (which I love!!) I am always needeing two wrenches for changing the tooling. I need to find a place to keep the wrenches and tooling that meets the above list. But I am not sure if I am going to keep the shaper where it is or move it. So I do nothing but waste time trying to find where I put he wrenches.

On of the best things I have done was rebuild one of my benches.
finished.jpg

Adding all these drawers was a big job but it has helped so much toward uncluttering my bench. But I still have things laying around that don't have a home and then when I need them I have to figure out where I left them. Thats time wasted.

Arnie, this could make a great thread by itself. Organizing your shop.

END OF THREAD DRIFT

Jeff

Great idea Jeff :thumb:

Where's the cord Al :huh: :huh: :D

I have a few on those, missing the cords:huh: :dunno: :D

Ned. That maple sure is prone to chunking out when surfacing sometimes:eek:

I've had similar results with this stock of maple I have now.:(

Some of it, it doesn't matter which end is started in the planer, even with light passes.

steve,
yep. that's why it was in the 'scrap box' and I figure that's perfect for something I'm going to plane/scrape and otherwise carve on. On your cabinet stock a wide belt or similar should help, no?

Yes. I have a double drum sander I get out/un dust when this occurs.

For the maple cabinet doors I'm doing, other than to risk the chipping out getting the panels to 5/8", I surfaced to a 32nd over 5/8", then drum sanded on down to 5/8"

I had to replace 10 ft of handrail I built for the house 3 years ago because it got a 1/2" bow in it. It's a good chunk O wood, 3 pieces of 1" ruff laminated to make a 2"H x 3 &3/8" W rail. I now am struggling with some old gloss poly, about a half a can thats got to be a year old but has not skinned over or anything, just won't flow out, leaves brush strokes. I got about 5 coats on it now. Now with varsol in it , it's drying good but with a flat look. I may have to get a new can of poly!

Last edited:
My BENCH is on my bench this weekend! :D

I have spent the last .... hrhrmmhuhhummuhhummm ... weekends building a replacement workbench and just completed gluing up the base. The top's been done for awhile, but the base was a challenge. Everything's hard maple, and it's been a real learning experience.

I have learned that I am patient enough for hand tools, to a point. I decided to use no fasteners on the base, so I had a few mortise and tenon joints to cut. Well, I thought I'd drill out the mortises with a big fat forstner bit and then hog out the rest with my very sharp chisels. Ahh, the best of intentions...

My mortise list was as follows:

1 5/8" x 1 5/8" - 3" deep * 8
1 5/8" x 2 7/8" - 3" deep * 8

Drilling 'em out was fun. After they were drilled, I got myself carefully setup to start squaring up some big round holes!

Three hours later, I'd managed to finish ONE. A small one, at that. And boy was it icky lookin'. Now, I've squared up mortises before, but nothing this size. I had a lot of wood to clear and it was really good maple.

Long story short, I've learned that I have patience for hand tools, to a point. Out came the router and a nice template. It was MUCH easier to round off the corners of the tenons, by the way :rofl: :rofl:

Anywho ... pics!

Turns out the recent splurge that doubled my collection of Bessey clamps sure came in handy on this one! :D

It was a good weekend :)

Attachments

• 100_0068.jpg
    100_0068.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_0069.jpg
    100_0069.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0071.jpg
    100_0071.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0072.jpg