Under TV Cabinet - Finished - PICS!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Took the critical first steps today - sorting through the lumber and making choices. Always a difficult job, choosing what board goes where.:huh: I know I'll second guess myself through the entire process.

I just hope the finished project lives up to the potential in my Michigan QSWO!
Lumber choice.JPG

Added: Already ran into my first snag. :doh: I was going to build up the legs to 2" square and then veneer the sides to show quarter sawn grain on all sides. Well, that was until I figured out that the taper at the bottom of the legs was greater than the thickness of the veneer.:bang: First challenge - go out and by some really thick QSWO, or, give up on the taper and simply round over the bottom of the legs? My design eye (that's funny :rofl::rofl:) tells me to stay with the taper.

Last edited:
I just made a design change this morning based on the trade-off between a different use of material or a different construction technique; it happens. A Blacker House leg treatment may look great on that piece and allow your leg construction technique. Sketch Up is my friend when it come to those "what-if" questions. Sketch Up also reigns in my Design Eye and gets me back on track when I have a really good idea that actually looks horrid. :rofl:

Last edited:
i was thinking the same thing as glenn, but you could only do it on 2 sides on the fronts and backs. if you match them up just right rennie, you won't notice where the seams are. with my table, i had to look at the ends, just to make sure which was the good face. i'd get rid of the tapers, and go straight down, with a chamfer at the bottom.

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:
:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:
:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk: no pressure rennie, none at all...:D

Would work providing I keep my veneer thicker than the indent. :huh:

I selected a blank with good figure on two opposite sides and put a fat 1/8" veneer on the perpendicular sides. Then I indented just shy of 1/8" to allow me enough meat for sanding without sanding through . . . is that cheating? Once the shaping and smoothing are finished the seam pretty much disappears.

Attachments

• leg-veneer-close-up.jpg
    leg-veneer-close-up.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Parts-is-parts.jpg
    Parts-is-parts.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OK - Two discoveries.

First, gluing up and then tapering looks like it will not work. The glue up becomes very apparent once any finish is applied.

Second, If I go to a straight leg I will have to downsize it. 2" Square is just to heavy to go all the way to the floor.

Leg mock up 1.JPG

Back to the drawing board!

rennie, here is a pic of my dining chair. the legs, both front and back are 1 3/4" square. not too heavy if you ask me, and they go straight to the floor, no tapering.

Attachments

• dining chair finished.JPG
    dining chair finished.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 37
rennie, here is a pic of my dining chair. the legs, both front and back are 1 3/4" square. not too heavy if you ask me, and they go straight to the floor, no tapering.
Thanks Dan. 2" was too heavy. 1.75" might work. I'm playing in SU now with some 1.5" legs and smaller plugs.

Got the end panels done so far today. Still some daylight left so I might shoot for the front rails. Have not decided on the through tenons yet.:dunno: I might just omit them and go for the simpler design. Either would be historically correct for the style.
End panel dry fit 800.JPG

Now I need to go through some magazine indexes and find that formula for making this look like fumed oak.

(Rob, I know you're going to ask, the blue tape is to remind me which is the face. - See Kerry's note about the speeding senior citizen.):rofl::rofl:

I get my woodstove fire starting kindling from Glenn's mock ups. He does make them and he does not hesitate to do them again. The cabinet for my hand planes is a mock up for a much nicer cabinet.

The point being: Even though it is cheap (free) wood, the mock up is nice enough to hang on my shop wall. Heck, if I needed it, I would hang it in my bathroom.

Enjoy,
Jim

Got the side panels and front and back rails done, sanded and ready for finish. Played around with a few recipes today. I like honey amber trans tint under Minwax Early American, but the same dye under Minwax walnut looks more period. I think the Early American allows more of the ray fleck to pop through more.

Well, this is scary!

This is my first time using a dye as part of the finishing process. It's a little scary :eek::eek:

This is trans tint honey amber, the first step in a 4 step process to get me close to an A&C finish on my QSWO. Now that I see how garish it looks at this stage, I think its time to play a little trick on the LOML.:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dye application 1 800.jpg