4 1/2 Smoother....?

Stuart Ablett

I'm in the market for a 4 1/2 smoother, anyone have a good user they are willing to part with?

Of course the Bedrock 604 1/2 is what I'd really like :D

New my choices are Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen or Clifton planes.

I have to say if I'm going to buy new, I'm really looking hard at the Lie Nielsen. The Veritas is very cool, but it just seems to me, and I could be wrong, but they have reinvented the wheel here :dunno:

Opinions? :rolleyes: :D

That's a great size. Wish I'd known earlier in the summer you were in the market. I thinned out my herd and let an older Record 04-1/2 that was nice shape go pretty cheap....even got scolded by a seasoned veteran on another forum for the low pricing! :huh: :rolleyes:

That's a great size. Wish I'd known earlier in the summer you were in the market. I thinned out my herd and let an older Record 04-1/2 that was nice shape go pretty cheap....even got scolded by a seasoned veteran on another forum for the low pricing! :huh: :rolleyes:

you should have got scolded for not posting it here scott:)

If you go new then definitely the lie nielsen hands down. I had the 25th anniversary bronze 4-1/2 that I was forced to part with last winter.. it's a beautiful plane!

The Wood River planes look great, but they do not have a #4 1/2, only a #4.

I have a decent #4 with a LV blade, it works well, but I want to try a true #4 1/2 :thumb:

Last edited:
Any idea of the shipping cost to ship a plane from the US to Japan? Would it be cost effective to buy a plane - either new or used -and have it shipped to Japan? Or is that the only way to get these tools?

Mike

Any idea of the shipping cost to ship a plane from the US to Japan? Would it be cost effective to buy a plane - either new or used -and have it shipped to Japan? Or is that the only way to get these tools?

Mike

I'm buying a used one from a member here.

A new LN 4 1/2 costs 39,000 yen here, that is about $507 US, the same plane costs $325 US in the states, plus shipping.

When Steve Southwood sent me the #7 recently the shipping was about $70, but the #7 was a whole lot bigger and heavier than the #4 1/2 :dunno:

Still, it will be a bargain :D

I'll put a new blade into the used plane and have a very good daily user, I'm sure :thumb: