New gate and little filler bit of fence

Rob Keeble

Well i ended up doing my own thing on the gates. Whats it Larry says if in doubt build it stout.

Well my side fence shared with NN is spec' d by me so i made my front fence and gate to match the side fence.

Had to put in three 6x6 posts 4ft down. Young son learnt how to dig post holes:D

Just a tip before i continue. I priced out at our HD (and no Dave H, i do not like them just have to use them captive). the rental of post hole digger manual (two spade type) and i would have been in for over $20 a day. So instead i bought a tai chi special or $20 at a Tai chi tool store nearby and was able to do the job over two days and have a tool at the end of it. Young son did the research i was impressed.

So here are the gory details of my construction efforts.

I hope they measure up its the first fence and gate i have made in North America. All pressure treated and used screws no nails in sight. Ask Mike Holmes. :D

This is the front view with gates closed. Still have to put latch in and strips in the middle between the two gates.

Gate closed front side reduced.jpg

This is a single gate front view

Single gate front side reduced.jpg

Then the rear view

Rear of gate reduced.jpg

This is a single gate and a shot of the hinge bolts this baby aint going no where and nobody is getting through.:D
single rear gate reduced.jpg Hinge bolted on with quarter inch self threading bolts reduced copy.jpg

Then you can see area behind gate being excavated for crushed stone and concrete. Future home of trailer. ;)

Space at the rear of the gate to be paved or concreted reduced.jpg

Well i really enjoyed this project. Was very worried about the holes but son made short work of them.

Still not sure about the top bit and middle but time will tell what happens there.

Comments and critique welcome because i need to learn how to do it in this part of the woods. :)

With all the PT lumber looks like it will last a few winters!

Glad you can dig holes there. There is no 'digging' here. It's more like excavating to get through the rocks...

Very nice, Rob. :thumb: Well done, man.

...Had to put in three 6x6 posts 4ft down. Young son learnt how to dig post holes :D...

...So instead i bought a tai chi special or $20 at a Tai chi tool store nearby and was able to do the job over two days and have a tool at the end of it. Young son did the research i was impressed...

That's pretty good, but if he was REAL crafty, he would have presented a detailed cost analysis showing how a powered post hole digger was the best solution of all. :p

Very nice, Rob. :thumb: Well done, man.

That's pretty good, but if he was REAL crafty, he would have presented a detailed cost analysis showing how a powered post hole digger was the best solution of all. :p

But Vaughn that would have had him go against one of the Prime Directives, ( Ex Robo Cop style we dont allow much lateral thinking around here when it comes to work) manual labor and no powered digger.:rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the comments guys. Bob i think i got carried away. The wanna be construction guy dont get to work with nominal size lumber too often and the security phobia hangover of where i come from merged on this one but i aint challenging any suicide bombers to try get through it.:rofl::rofl::rofl: If they do they hit the next obstical course my rain barrel.:rofl:

Last edited:
Been a busy boy haven't we Rob!!?? That is one fine looking gate!! Sounds like you set your posts deep enough to hold the gate, now you didn't put a ball of concrete around them did you?