What a gem i could not believe it

Rob Keeble

So for years since i arrived in Canada i have wondered what the use of those Fein multi tools was. I saw them at the woodworking shows and when i enquired about the price i wondered how they ever sold any. It was so high i could not retain it and even thought on more than one occassion that the sales guy was having me on.

Well then i guess the patent must have expired and all the copies flooded the market. I could still not see its merits.

That is until a friend here helped me get one across the border from Harbor Freight on special.

Now its my new best friend around the house.

First use was cutting drywall what a dream.

Second use was cutting strips of laminate the other night and also getting in to cut the laminate near the wall side where the router could not reach.

Here is the tool i am refering to and i got the variable speed one but now cannot fathom why.

The best price i have seen this one for is $49 when its on their so called sales. I might have got a bit off with a coupon i cannot remember.

If you dont have one and have been a skeptic like me do yourself a favor and buy one you wont regret it.

Here is a $20 non variable speed unit for this price one cannot go wrong for those awkward jobs around the house.

I agree Rob. I've got one of the HF Variable speed ones and it really works well. Amazingly smooth for a HF motor... :thumb:

I have to agree with you Rob. A couple of years back I almost bought the Fein multi tool but something in my gut said to hold off. Glad I did. I have the single speed version from Harbor freight for just over a year and to me it's just as good as the over priced Fein. And yes I have used the fein before. I've cut sheet rock, plywood, solid wood and metal with it. I've even used it to help remove old tile. It's one of my go to tools.:thumb:

I have the same one Rob and works just fine:thumb: put more than one good grin on my chops, and if the darn thing burns up, for the cost, just get a new one:)

Yeah i am going to try it on grout next.

Just need to get familiar with the different attachments and their optimal purpose.

Whats the purpose of the variable speed can anyone advise when and how to use the feature. I just have mine full ball. When i reduced it i found it did not cut the same.:dunno:

I've used mine a lot - I purchased mine on a review posted by Brent some time back. I like it for plunge cutting drywall and wood paneling for outlets, etc. Much less dust than the rotozip and, to my mind, more accurate - if a bit slower. Flush cutting door frames for wood floor installation is another popular use.

I have had a fein multimaster for years. Before they went "mass marketing" Im surprised you dont see them in your local supermarket right next to the cheerios:D
I used to use the daylights out of mine especially in stair work and in kitchen installs. They are a great tool but, yes, very pricey, and the accessories are quite costly as well.

the purpose of the variable speed is when cutting or sanding different materials, especially plastics so you wont melt them from the heat generated by the high speeds.

good tool, im glad to see them finally get some competition, might bring the street price down a bit.

I purchased the dremel multi max, and have used it a bit, but my son has used it constantly with the upgrades in his home.
some of its value is in the things you can do so easily with it, as in he needed to cut away the bottom of moldings around entrances to fit a new floor........

my contractor uses the fein, and he loves it, but says the generic blades arent that good and the fein blades are very expensive.
And its not like the HF or dremel that uses a universal blade that many of them use.

for a woodworker who concentrates on furniture building or box building, Im not sure its a necessity, but for people who do all kinds of work around a home, it will probably be the best money spent on a tool.

HF finally opened a store close by in Braintree, MA. When I was there to pick up some auger bits, I saw these on "sale". The clerk also let me use the 20% off coupon, so it came out to around $40.

I had toyed with the idea of getting one of these for a year but could never justify the $ for the Fein. Even if the HF only lasts me two years, it cost me a fraction of the Fein.

Thanks for the review :thumb::thumb:

Looks like in the add the non-variable speed one in the ad does not come with the different blades. By the time you add those you are close or more than the one that comes with the blades. I may have to try one.

Anyone interested in one of these tools i got a coupon today for one of these tools at $39.99.

Now thats the cheapest i seen it.

Happy to pass it on if someone wants to use it pm me and we can make arrangements.

I just received their flier yesterday, you are correct, 39.99. They usually have the fliers at their stores also. There is a 20% coupon also, but the fine prints says you can't use it with other coupons.

You not being serious are you Brent. :eek::) I normally like good well made tools but lets get real here. This HF special is 10% of this Feinmeister unit. I cannot see it being 90% better.

You not being serious are you Brent. :eek::) I normally like good well made tools but lets get real here. This HF special is 10% of this Feinmeister unit. I cannot see it being 90% better.

Just thought I'd share. I just received the email notice in my inbox a few minutes ago...

;)

I saw a Fein on my local CL a few years ago, for a note ($100 for those that never heard the term). I couldn't justify it. Now, I may have a tile removal and replacement job coming up (think we may have a collapsed drain pipe in a section of floor at work), and am thinking this might be a good way to save and reuse the tile. (it should pop up easily with all the moisture that is causing it to separate from the mastic)

Before, when I have assisted with broken tile replacement, we used an angle grinder to cut the grout, then chipped the broken tile out. So anyone using tile with one of these, I would be interested in hearing if you were able to remove the tile whole?

Thanks

Not looking forward to the project.