WIP-Another Kitchen Island, but with butcher block top.

so when you get this all glued up bryan, how are you gonna flatten it?
Each one gets trimmed to 5" in the planer, and I have to take a pass on edge on the jointer, cause they are not straight. the 3 big sections should clamp up flat. Stroke sanding the top when thats done, belt sand the sides, I guess to level. This is my 1st attempt at a top like this, it's learn as I go.:huh:

bryan i know you should know but in case yu may have a lapse in memory,, those heavy pieces are gonna need alot of clamps to make it tight all across the top.. and dont drop one of them on your foot.. or it will be burger for supper:)

almost done. I used my little Craftsman electric planer to even out the long sides, belt sanded them, then round over the edges. Top is a brute to move around. Got to use the old stroke sander , did a nice job. IMG_4886.JPG

Bryan that is amazing. How many clamps do you have:eek:
30 or so bessy type and 10 I beam Jorgenson. I sold off the pipe clamps, should have kept a few of the long ones!:doh: I did learn a few things about making a top this big.:huh:
If I ever make another, I will use a slower setting glue, use the roller bottle from the start, after planing the 1st glue up and cutting in half for the planer, plane and then take a thin cut each side on the jointer, use the heavy duty Jorgenson I beam clamps to get a tight seam.

This piece just gets better and better. I find it interesting how the ash can take on the look of oak. i wonder how many people have paid for furniture thinking they got oak but got ash without knowing it. Love that color Bryan.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

This piece just gets better and better. I find it interesting how the ash can take on the look of oak. i wonder how many people have paid for furniture thinking they got oak but got ash without knowing it. Love that color Bryan.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
I just finished the 2nd coat. I'm using an ML Campbell fast dry stain, but it's meant for industrial users to spray on / wipe off. I wipe it on with a wiping sponge, but dries too fast for me. It's ready to spray in 30 minutes.:eek:

nice job bryan,, and that old stroke sander was blessing on this piece huh:) how do you man handle that top? it has to be heavy:huh::huh:
I put dollies on the base!:D Then lower the stroke table till I can slide it off on the base. Made it easier to sand the sides. Flipping it over is hard on the stroke table. This morning, got the 2nd coat of stain on, and now have 1 coat of lacquer on.
IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4891.JPG