New Pens

Ron Hossack

I forget to post here every once in a while but probably most have seen these elsewhere. Both Pens are with my typical CA finish.

This is a 'Stretched' Black Titanium Atlas. This modification uses a longer tube and a Unibal 207 refill. This mod came about because the wife liked the Atlas/Cabara style of pens but they were too short.

Is she satisfied ... no, she has a new modification for me to attempt the next time.

The piece of timber is Buckeye Burl that I stabilized in my poor-mans pickle jar system twice.

The first time I tried using a mixture of 50-50 white glue and water. A BIG mistake on my part with the BEB.

This never setup solid and chunks of the BEB would literally fall off. I then baked the snot out of it and then used some other stuff and this is the result.

4492480Autograph_008__Copy_.JPG

Next is a Wallstreet II Elegant in Black Titanium and Gold and the piece of timber is Spalted Autograph from Hawaii.

5832487Autograph_010__Copy_.JPG

Great pens, Ron. The fit and finish is perfect. Buckeye is one of my favorites and that is some beautiful buckeye you turned. It really has lots of "characters". I'd like to see a picture of the other side of that pen.

Thanks all for the kind words ...

Great pens, Ron. The fit and finish is perfect. Buckeye is one of my favorites and that is some beautiful buckeye you turned. It really has lots of "characters". I'd like to see a picture of the other side of that pen.

OK Paul ... tried to get a partial rotational view of this ... (All shot freehand so may appear to be blurry and not sharp and crisp)

9828505BEB_001-crop__Copy_.JPG

9768562BEB_002-crop__Copy_.JPG

3717553BEB_003-crop__Copy_.JPG

5716008BEB_004-crop__Copy_.JPG

I'll try the macro setting and see if I can pick up the depth of the pen ... a lot going on here ...

6282863Autograph_004__Copy_.JPG

Last edited:
Darn, that is a Kulula Bear!!
The nose of the alleged bear is actually was a rather large chunk of bark inclusion.

After turning it down there was this hole that still with the bark around the hole.

If you look closely you can see where I packed the bottom of the hole with some brass shavings from Ace (key cuttings) and then just used thick CA to fill the hole so when you look at it it seems a deep hole.

Great work on both pens, with what sounds like some pretty challenging wood. Thanks for sharing the photos here. :thumb:

Great work on both pens, with what sounds like some pretty challenging wood. Thanks for sharing the photos here. :thumb:
Thank you Vaughn ... actually after I stabilized it the wood turned very nicely, the easiest BEB to date. I've stabilized a few more pieces so will see what they hold beneath the surface.