Sometimes it just aint your day

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Sometimes you just got to shut everything down, turn off the lights, and go watch TV.:doh::pullhair:

Our company left and I was sitting on the couch watching the boob tube with LOML and we were both just about to doze off. Not tired, just bored. I said, "I can't do this, I have too much I need to accomplish." With that I got up and went out into the shop. I found a nicely figured board to use as the bottom rail of mu cabinet, but it had a slight twist to it. So, I cross cut it to rough size and then, to minimize loss on the jointer, I ripped it. Got it nice and flat and planed it to final dimension....except.. I ripped it an inch too narrow!:bang:

Found another board, went through all the steps and went to do the final rip and... misread the scale and ripped 1/4" too narrow! :doh:OK, this was getting old. Found a third board in the pile and went through all the steps again and....perfection!:bliss::highfive:

So, riding the wave of success I thought that I might as well do the top rail. I carefully marked my bottom rail so I would know what that piece of wood was for and picked up one of my earlier mistakes to rip the top rail which is narrower. Opps, the fence needs to be reset, so I put the board down, carefully set the fence, double checking my dimensions, picked up the board, rip it, take it over the the jointer to clean up the edge, measure the finished product and....perfection again!:woohoo:

Then I reach for the bottom rail, now, where did I put that. It was right here a second ago.... I didn't have to look far because I was holding half of it in my hand. I had picked up the wrong board to rip the top rail after resetting the fence.:pullhair::bang:

I quietly put the board down, stepped away from the saw, turned out the lights, and went back in to watch TV. Sometimes you just gotta call it a day.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Sorry Rennie but that's just plane funny.
I would say mostly because we have all done it at least a 100 times :thumb::rofl::rofl:

Hey, it was just some wood, who cares, it grows on trees you know :D

I'm just glad you walked out with some smaller boards, not a shorter thumb or something.

I'm sure the sofa was comfortable! :wave:

Sorry Rennie but I just can not figure out how you did that:huh: I know that has NEVER happened to me:whistling::p..................OK it has................many times:eek: Right thing to do is as you did and shut down for the day.

I can't say I know what you are talking about here. I keep my shop super organized and always double check my stock and measurements before cutting. :whistling::whistling:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

rennie,, are you listening:) remember those panels you showed us ? the ones with the blue tape,, well chalk works to.. and when laying out your pieces i have got to the point where i mark the pieces so i can avoid doing things like that as often as i used to. now you need to be creative and use them boards in another area or possibly you can glue them together and make the top or bottom rail from them if you need to use the wood to have enough for the whole project,, i cant see the pieces so you have to make that call on what you want it to be.. but tape and chalk will stop alot of those kind of things from happening..

This tells me I'm as good a builder as you guys are. I do thing like that all the time. When I go to build something I buy twice the wood I figure I should need, always figure half of it is just for practice. Then I build something smaller to use the "mistakes" wood. When someone asks, "what kind of wood is this small thing made of I say "mistakes wood".

rennie,, are you listening:) ... but tape and chalk will stop alot of those kind of things from happening..

Larry, that was the most frustrating part! I HAD marked the piece in big letters, in chalk, on the face. That's how I knew I was holding half the board, the letters were cut in half. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I buy more wood than I need it's not extra wood because it's there for a reason. The reason is I seem to be unable to not follow all the Family Woodworking examples that have gone on before me. One of my closest examples lives in Idaho. When I get my shop set back up I'm going to buy a big wide roll of blue tape to tape my projects together with as I go along building them so all I have to do is cut the missing pieces.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Larry, that was the most frustrating part! I HAD marked the piece in big letters, in chalk, on the face. That's how I knew I was holding half the board, the letters were cut in half. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes sir! It was time to go the house!

I have been experiencing similar situations with my entertainment center build too Rennie.

Well after all the comments finally one i can say been there done that too.

I knew of the chalk and still got it wrong. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Boy am i a relieved to see i a aint alone.

Sorry it happened to you Rennie but i have also come to accept its only wood. And we are human we make mistakes. ;)

I think you did the best thing after that though. Lights out try something less dangerous.:D