Experiment with Drying update

Dan Mosley

Awhile back I post some pictures of a NIP hollow form that I had used MS on and spun it thru the pores on the lathe, brought it inside and left it open on the counter top to dry. I posted picture then of it sitting. Since then, I have put it back on the lathe and rubbed in Waterlox x 3 coats over a couple weeks then back inside where its still sitting - Still no Cracks anywhere - its been several weeks now
See Pictures 1-3

Today I had free time to turn some projects in the garage and thought I would continue on with some experimenting on drying. I turned a small bowl out of pepperwood yesterday and a hollow form today. The Bowl was turned and brought inside and set on the counter and nothing else was done with it. 24hrs later (today) i saw some micro cracking (marked areas in the picture) and touched them with a bit of CA - so far so good but still showed signs of very small cracking - micro but still.................
See Pictures 4-5

The Hollow form was rough turned (today) to the same thickness (approx) - sprayed with MS and spun at 1250 rpm's and I then used my "new" Typhoon blow gun to force the MS thru as it spun. The blow gun is very forceful when it blasts so you could see the MS spraying thru like a mist system.................
See Pictures 6-7

Ill post again tomm after 24hrs to compare to how it compares to the bowl...............

Attachments

• P1010025.jpg
    P1010025.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 19
Dan, I must be slow this morning; what is MS?
I have thought seriously about spinning my oil finish through Cottonwood and leaving it several weeks to cure but I have not done it yet.
I did wrap a piece of real pretty Maple with Saran Wrap, leaving a hole in the front. I turned the lathe up to top speed and gently stuck the bottle of hardener through to squirt liquid inside. I am going back this morning to see how well it worked.

Sorry about that..............
MS - Mineral Spirits
NIF - Norfolk Island Pine
CA - Cynoacolate Thin Glue

Barbara ---------I have used 50/50 BLO (boiled linseed oil) and Mineral Spirts mixed in a spray bottle the same way and it works fine just a bit more messy. The only reason I cut it 50/50 was in thinking it would go thru the pores of the wood easier ..........I suppose it did............let me know if you try it without being thinned
I am going to turn some more of that pepperwood today and ill post later what I use on these.........

Last edited:
The hollow form has now been sitting out for 24hrs without any cracks but it has moved a slight amount (warp).

The small bowl after 48hrs now showed another micro crack but I dabbed a touch of CA on it and so far not so bad but im sure if I did not keep watch the micro would have become macro.

I roughed two large bowls today and turned to finish another vessel - these I blew MS thru but wrapped them up in brown bags as a precaution.

Im not sure how the idea of spinning MS thru the wood or anything else but I like to experiment and ill keep you posted on how things go.