So.... you think your job is tough?

Rich Soby

stringingthebridgeup.jpg

on a pucker factor scale of 1-10 this ones a 15!
The days before OSHA....

That is a photo from the building of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. The bridge was completed in 1937, during the depression, so it was easy to find workers. Also, no OSHA at that time, although Strauss (in charge of construction) innovated the use of netting under the deck construction to catch workers who fell. It saved the life of 19 workers.

I have a book on the building of the building of the Golden Gate bridge which contains lots of pictures of the construction. Very interesting to see it rise and the techniques used to string those cables.

Mike

[P.S. He's only a few feet out from one of the towers and probably walked out specifically for the picture.]

That is a photo from the building of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. The bridge was completed in 1937, during the depression, so it was easy to find workers. Also, no OSHA at that time, although Strauss (in charge of construction) innovated the use of netting under the deck construction to catch workers who fell. It saved the life of 19 workers.

I have a book on the building of the building of the Golden Gate bridge which contains lots of pictures of the construction. Very interesting to see it rise and the techniques used to string those cables.

Mike

[P.S. He's only a few feet out from one of the towers and probably walked out specifically for the picture.]

The truly amazing thing about the building of that bridge is that only eleven workers died during the construction. In those days, employers' safety concerns weren't nearly so much as they are (supposed to be) today.

I saw a history channel show on the building of the bridge just a few weeks ago, very innovative techniques for the time. There were 11 killed during the construction, 10 were on one day, but the nets collapsed in that incident.

Chuck surely not on the date with Sandra....walking the ropes i can understand. But then just make sure the life insurance policy is paid up. Might be grease on them ropes.

Sandra is a high maintenance kind of person. :) Date could cost a penny or two.;)

No way.......No how......for no date or amount of money.

I worked on oil rigs for 4 years and my hands left finger prints on the steel in the derricks everytime I went aloft to help the derrick hand.

Chuck surely not on the date with Sandra....walking the ropes i can understand. But then just make sure the life insurance policy is paid up. Might be grease on them ropes.

Sandra is a high maintenance kind of person. :) Date could cost a penny or two.;)
Her husband (err, ex-husband) was apparently a high maintenance person, also. Needed another woman - one with lots of tattoos.

Mike

I dont see what the big deal is about this guys job.
He doesnt seem to have to lift anything heavy, doesnt look like brain work or need some fancy schmancy college degree, doesnt look like he has people screaming or yelling at him, no boss looking over his shoulder,

actually, it looks pretty good, as long as you dont slip.

I dont see what the big deal is about this guys job.
He doesnt seem to have to lift anything heavy, doesnt look like brain work or need some fancy schmancy college degree, doesnt look like he has people screaming or yelling at him, no boss looking over his shoulder,

actually, it looks pretty good, as long as you dont slip.

now thats what i call looking at things with a positive attitude allen:thumb::thumb::rofl: