What gets you intimidated ?

I think the older we get the less intimidating people are. We learn to except others for what they know , how or how little money they have same with positions.

I got to thinking when riding with the Patriot Guard that I was the only rider with a sportster all the other guys had big Harley's but mine is just right for me.

I think for the most part and correct me if I'm wrong but the guys with the less experience should be the ones that are most respectful and inquisitive not wanting to show that they don't know something they puff up and question wisdom with arrigantes (?). I tend to ignore this behavior. But for the respectful questions I have know problem with going the extra mile in lending my knowledge and going so far as giving the person the questions and answers.

It's been a while sense I've been intimated.

I'm just wondering what you all think about this?

I agree Dave. The life experiences we accrue on our journey from cradle to grave are what make us who we are. Our parents and family as well as friends give us the start and set our "pace" so to speak.
Funny this... Having gone through some recent catastrophies in my immediate little family over the past few years I look back to how I handled myself before and how I approach situations now. My daughter who was 12 at the time these all started and how she was shaped by them and how she looks at things. She at 17 is a much stronger person for this and looks at life through the eyes of someone well beyond her years. She too shares many of my pet peeves in this area.
Myself, whenever I see something that may seem daunting, I ask myself "whats the worst that can happen?" I don't let it scare me off like it used to. Also, the speed bumps that crop up don't upset me the way they used to either.
I have never had an issue deferring to someone with more experience than me in some subject or trade. Younger or older.
But, I have friends that I see get upset sometimes to the point of letting it ruin their day over things that to me are trivial.
One thing I can't stand though is when someone tries to make themselves out to be something they aren't, or will not admit they are wrong. I feel there is no excuse for that and at times can be quite dangerous to the people around them.

Intimidation, I get quiet and respectful, in my little world, other than being in the nose of the trailer and the bull steps in blocking my exit, I am not intimidated much. Of course I am not in the middle of a street gang with my family. I tend to stay to myself or on my little farm (just ask Larry!!:rofl:) rather than deal with people. Even though I am a teacher, I prefer my animals and alone time over group activities.
My dad traded horses alot, I was allowed around adults due to my ability and willingness to ride anything anyone said was remotely broke. My dad always said on the way home, "don't forget to separate the wheat from the chaff" meaning, pay attention when they are talking, but don't take all as fact, keep the important information, throw the rest away. I have used the philosophy of an old cowboy, Dale W., from out West. He always says, "if it ain't fatal, it's funny". How true, sometimes I made mountains out of molehills, spent more time apologizing than if I just shut up and did it. Wisdom comes to those who pay attention, not to old people, but people that pay attention, like Rich's daughter that paid attention and her experiences shaped her views.

Last edited:
Great Responses Rich and Jonathan. I have to admit that getting on a Motorcycle at 58 I was a bit apprehensive the weight and sear power was a bit daunting to me. So maybe 1st time experiences and the trust into a situation with out notice would be the most areas intimidation would arise?

Rich kind of strange but when my oldest son Jonathan got cancer I never gave it a 2nd thought. Faith was all I had and what will be will be. Maybe my strength help keep him and the family from falling apart, but if anything would get under my skin a situation like that sure should have. I am happy for you coming out with a great outlook on life and for you daughter.

Jonathan you Sir are not naive one bit. I know a lot of wisdom is stored up in your years of experience and I for one enjoy your thoughts. :thumb:

i think that all three of you need to bow!! what has been said thus far is definitly wisdom and so that must mean that you are all really old huh:):thumb:

good thread dave!

Nothing much intimidates me in the way of tasks, but when it comes to officials that have power over you by virtue of the uniform they wearing or the position they hold then i get concerned.

Having travelled a great deal to not exactly prime tourist destinations, it can get pretty scarry when you come up against officialdom.

They can be a law unto themselves and in some places you can dissapear before you can says Bobs your uncle.

In this kind of situation nothing works. Its a roll of the dice. Characters like these with power can take anything you say or do with good bad or indifferent attitude anywhich way they feel depending on the moods.

Sometimes they are trained to be that way because it unsettles you. But its still intimidating and unpleasant. There is no predicting the outcome in these situations.

Nothing much intimidates me in the way of tasks, but when it comes to officials that have power over you by virtue of the uniform they wearing or the position they hold then i get concerned.

Having travelled a great deal to not exactly prime tourist destinations, it can get pretty scarry when you come up against officialdom.

They can be a law unto themselves and in some places you can dissapear before you can says Bobs your uncle.

In this kind of situation nothing works. Its a roll of the dice. Characters like these with power can take anything you say or do with good bad or indifferent attitude anywhich way they feel depending on the moods.

Sometimes they are trained to be that way because it unsettles you. But its still intimidating and unpleasant. There is no predicting the outcome in these situations.

now that i can relate too,,, in the Canadian border and in the mexican..

I think you are just trying to comfort yourself for buying a 'Hardly' instead of a 'Harley' . . . Just kidding; I don't even ride.

I totally agree that I have become more resilient with age. Differences in people and situations seem to be more easily analyzed and dealt with than in my youth. I could probably even stand myself if I met me today.

In all honesty, I would love to visit your NN (;):rolleyes::D:thumb:) and then walk over to your house and also visit Mack. But honestly, I won't put myself in that position. I don't run scared, but also don't :stick:!

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. If I had known how much work would be involved with my new property, I may have been intimidated - but why bother, I would have gone ahead anyway.:D

I get a kick sometimes out of those who try to be intimidating. When I was younger, I assumed they had the power and granted them the ability to intimidate me - but I grew up.
I used to work at a place that functioned by intimidation. It was one of my first jobs, and I did not know any better. I did not fit it well with management due to my lack of response to intimidation, and the layoff was one of the best things to happen to me. They continue to function, but it is a miserable place to work.

I have ridden motorcycles a lot - but never Harley. Nothing against them, they just were not what I wanted. Always an intimidation opportunity there, but it never really came up with the people I associated with. (family Harley riders included).

As Rob mentioned, intimidation for me will (has) come when in a new place where I don't know the customs/expectations/limitations. Ignorance there can get you killed, so allowing a little intimidation is a good thing - but it is my choice.