decibel meter and a small experiment

Rob, FYI you might be able to find a pretty good SPL meter app for your Atrix. I have one for my iPhone that compares pretty closely with the Radio Shack meter I've had for years. (Bought it back then to balance my first surround sound system.)

Vaughn thanks for reminding me i have a smart phone. I never even gave an app like this a thought.

I have been a bit negligent with my phone and use of apps. I have been putting off using any other than the forum one until i crack the phone.

I cannot get over the pet peeves of being monitored by every other application. Dunno its just bugging the heck out of me. How the privacy people have not got into this issue is beyond me. I dont wish to just join the crowd. It feels like wiretapping and i thought that required a judges consent and probable cause.

On the other side i went to look at the apps and noticed that they are using the microphone as an input and these mics in these devices are limited in their frequency response given they are optimised for the human voice.

I will have to look up the specs of the device Allen has sent me and see how they correlate.

This is such a cool idea.

I fully realize the results are not going to be anything to stand up in court but then with the dumming down of society today few seem to understand outside of our hobby, the true hazards of dust and how to deal with it.

So on the same note why get technical on the sound side they would not understand an equally competent report on sound.;)

I bet a report on noise that i could create using Allens meter would convince most in the town that there is no issue. For them to take issue it would take political will and the hiring of another consulting firm and that would not fly for one case like mine.:D

I will keep my eyes out for it Allen.:thumb:

and just a drop more clarity:

alot of people will look up TS's on internet and see power tools rate near 105-110 dbs.
How come this guys is only 88 or 89?

I am not measuring the dbs of the machine.

I am measuring the dbs the machine puts out at my garage entrance.