A couple of cradles...

Gary Zimmel

These were built for my two daughter-in-laws a while back.
One likes dark wood and the other light...

So one got a walnut cradle.
Simple BLO finish with a bunch of coats of WOP.

walnut cradle 4.jpgwalnut cradle2.jpg

walnut cradle3.jpgwalnut cradle1.jpg

And the second got a curly/birds eye maple one.
This one was finished with 100% tung oil and a few coats of wax.

walnut cradle7.jpgwalnut cradle 5.jpg

walnut cradle6.jpg

Sorry about these second pics.
Can't beat building furniture for family...

Thanks guys...
These two were special pieces. I thought I was only going to build one but when I suggested that daughter in law #1 let #2 use the first cradle I was told no way it was going to leave her home. Thus the second cradle that was walnut.
The builds were a little more tedious with the rails and slats both being 3/4".
Getting a nice clean fit took a little time. And for smaller projects there sure is a lot of M&T joints....
Both cradles can be knocked down as the legs are screwed to the bottom stretcher.

Sorry about the pics why? I think they are perfect.:thumb:

As much as i love maple and they both very good pieces the walnut unit just does it for me.

The maple one looks a little loud.

Now i dont think you need any more atta boys but what i would like you to share is more of the build info if possible.

I think these are so cool i want to store these pics away for when its my time to do this. If we ever get any of those wee ones from our sons.:)

Are the buttons in the walnut unit pegs or plugs?

I take it the sides are done like a raised panel door or is it some other way.

Can you supply more detail on the swing pivot part. Is it lockable so as not to rock.

How did you handle the inside edges of the rails are they rounded or square?

How did you handle the base?

Oh do you have a plan by any chance and if so would you be prepared to share it.

Lovely work Gary i am delighted you listened to Glenn.;):thumb:

I like the looks of your spread there and the flower box:thumb: How does that stand up to the weather being painted wood outside.?

Larry just gave away a secret about his wood stash now i am gonna have to make sure i take a better look next time i visit him.:)

Jonathan and Tom you guys leave some alone for the visitors.:thumb:

Rob they are caps or to cover up the screws that will pop off if one wanted to knock the cradle down into even smaller pieces. The ends are in essence flat panel doors. I was lucky enough to find a real wide piece of walnut to make it one piece, however keen eyes will note that it was ripped in half to machine and then glued up again.. Insides of the rails and slats are left square.
The cradles lock with pins I turned but are not in the pics.
The pivot holes were drilled and a brass bushing is inserted so the bolts will not chew at the wood as they rock. Caps again hide all the hardware.
The plan comes from http://www.furnitureplans.com/shop/heirloom-baby-cradle-plans/ (No affiliation with the company)
I made some minor changes to the plan. One was my cradles are a bit shorter. I had my wife buy the little mattresses first and used them to get the length. Another was to use solid stock for the whole project. The plan called for plywood for the bottom and for the end panels.
As with most projects, some really nice chunks of wood raises the bar of the final product...

Hope this helps out if you make one of these...