How much electricity did you use?

Jeff Horton

My bills have always seemed high for this house. Trying to find some info on the net really hasn't helped. So if you would look at your last electric bill and answer the following questions. I don't care about the dollar amounts, just looking for the KW usage and some general info.

Just copy and paste the following and type in the answer.

Kilowatts used:
Approx sq footage in your house:
Do you have Central A/C:
Electric or gas stove:
Electric or gas water heater:
Any other big power users IE swimming pool:

COMMENTS:

Kilowatts used:5-19 through 7-20 62 days, 2422
Approx sq footage in your house:1300-1400
Do you have Central A/C:no
Electric or gas stove:gas
Electric or gas water heater:gas
Any other big power users IE swimming pool:

COMMENTS:
[/QUOTE]

I run either my bedroom ac or office ac continously just about 24 hours a day during the warmer months.I need a cooling room for myself.
It was very warm back in may, so I pretty much have had one on most of the time.
I dont run the bigger unit downstairs often.
I also did very little woodworking in this period, so that could be a reason I didnt use as much as usual.
Actually, my bill states I used 2424 last year same period.
I have no children living here and my wife works fulltime.Since my children moved out over a year ago, my bills have dropped 25 %

Last edited:
You probably also want to know how many people reside at the house, and if they are home during the day or not.
Isn't this the sort of thing that you really can only compare to others in your area of the country?

as Ive proven here, I know nothing about electricity, but its been my experience as a bill payer that a computer or lights left on use very little electricity as compared to an AC left on for 3 hours.
Id rather my kids always left on their computers and lights than leave for the day and leave an AC on.

Around here, they're replacing the meters with "smart meters" that can be read through wireless. For residential users, you'll be able to see your consumption by hour, so you can see the effect of certain major appliances (like how much extra it costs to run your A/C). For small (120V) appliances, you can buy a device that hooks into the plug and it will tell you how much you're using and how much it's costing you. I don't think it's worth while to buy such a device.

I agree with Alan that the computer, set top box, etc. that stays on all the time doesn't use that much electricity but it uses it 24 hours per day. Shutting off those items does reduce your bill.

I don't know if the electric company has run those advertisements in your area asking people to unplug their cell phone chargers when they're not in use. Have you wondered why they ask you to do that but not turn your computer off when not in use? The reason is a quirk of electricity.

When a transformer is connected to the line, current actually flows through it but except for a small amount that is converted to heat, that electricity does not register on the electric meter. But the power company has to supply that current and it causes some losses in the transmission system. But they don't get paid for it by the residential user (they do have ways of charging the business customer for it).

So those ads are all about saving them money and not about saving the customer money.

Mike

Last edited:
Jeff, What is your per KW rate? We have 'stepped rates during the winter month, which are $.10 per KW for the first 600 and get to about $.06 per KW over 1000 KW from Oct. to May, but from $.10 to $.12 per KW during the summer months (June - Sept).

Since we put in our efficient fireplace last year, our electric bills (formerly base board heating) has been cut by more than half. Granted we have to pay for firewood, but I'd rather pay an independent business man (firewood) rather than a big corp (electricity).

But yes, it is still a lot less overall. I just need to schedule a small vaca with Brent where we can bring back our own firewood from the Sierra's and have firewood for free (minus gas).

Hi,

Here is mine:

Kilowatts used: 278 base, 83 (30% over rate), 147 (100% over)
Approx sq footage in your house: 1,895 within the house
Do you have Central A/C: No. We use the Pacific Ocean 4 or 5 miles away.
Electric or gas stove: Gas
Electric or gas water heater: Gas
Any other big power users IE swimming pool: DC and Power tools. With the DC and another tool I can get up to about 30 amps. However, if the tool is not in use (including the DC) it is not turned on (well the music and lights stay on). They are not used for extensive times.

Sharon, I have been heating with wood for 50 years. I purchased wood only once (no it was not a gigantic pile that lasted that long).

All of the neighbors know that I burn wood. If they are having trees trimmed or removed, they tell the contractor. The contractor is more than glad to dump the wood on my front-side yard. It saves them labor, trucking costs, dumping costs and time.

If you let the tree trimming companies know you want wood, they will probably volunteer to dump wood at your place any time they are working in the area.

I have not been picky. I will take whatever they leave, be it 2 inches in diameter or 30 inches. I tell them that wood cut shorter than 18.5 in in length is desirable because I have to cut it if it is longer than that. However, I will take any length and be glad to get it.

All of the contractors have been very considerate. They remove all of the foliage and other stuff I won't be using.

I have a 30 gallon trash can buried, except for a couple inches above ground, with a 24+ inch dia log section set on top for a chopping block. The trash can is filled with 300 pounds of cement with a 2.5 inch pvc pipe sticking up four inches in the center. The pvc fits into a hold in the block to keep it from traveling. I used the cement because the soil had "bounce" in it which decreased the splitting force on the firewood piece. (Same principle as when you hold a piece of steel between your hammering and what is being hammered.).

I also have sledge hammers, wedges, chain saw, etc. So I don't have to be picky about what wood is left. I can take care of it. This makes it easier for the tree guys to decide to dump the wood here.

It is dang good exercise, and I have actually enjoyed doing it. It's kinda like fishing. It is one of those tasks (except better exercise than fishing) that requires your attention, but not enough of it but what your brain can relax.

Enjoy,

Jim

Since we put in our efficient fireplace last year, our electric bills (formerly base board heating) has been cut by more than half. Granted we have to pay for firewood, but I'd rather pay an independent business man (firewood) rather than a big corp (electricity).

But yes, it is still a lot less overall. I just need to schedule a small vaca with Brent where we can bring back our own firewood from the Sierra's and have firewood for free (minus gas).

Good thing Costco sells Ibuprofren in bulk :rolleyes:

well jim you just surprised me again.... i would have bet the farm, that you had gas heat and not burn wood ,,how do you get away with the smoke factor in your state,, i thought they had all kinds of regs on smog and anything that isnt normal air for you folks..

Now that's a good idea, Jim. Unfortunately we don't live in a populated area anymore. I don't think someone wants to travel 30 miles to drop off old trees.

Brent made a butcher block style cube for splitting the pine kindling (no peanut gallery comments on why we have gas cans next to it) :rofl::rofl:

We live close to the Sierra Nevada mountain range and they frequently offer to have folks come and take the downed trees away for firewood. I guess we should do that some day.

I usually do the chopping for kindling which I'm sure would make for good humor if ever caught on camera.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 15
Now that's a good idea, Jim. Unfortunately we don't live in a populated area anymore. I don't think someone wants to travel 30 miles to drop off old trees.

Brent made a butcher block style cube for splitting the pine kindling (no peanut gallery comments on why we have gas cans next to it) :rofl::rofl:

We live close to the Sierra Nevada mountain range and they frequently offer to have folks come and take the downed trees away for firewood. I guess we should do that some day.

I usually do the chopping for kindling which I'm sure would make for good humor if ever caught on camera.

looks like to me sharon your aim has been pretty good most of the time:) only a few chips on the side..

My kindling is scrap from Glenn's and my shops. I cut it into 4 to 6 inch lengths. Then I take my hatchet (was my dad's since before I was born) and split it into pieces about 3/4 inch wide. That way most of it ends up 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 inches. 2 x 4s and similar end up as slices about 1/4 in thick.

One year I ran a bit short on kindling. We had some real upper class quality kindling from my shop. "Dear, do you want to start the fire with mahogany or Zebra wood?"

Enjoy,
Jim

Just dug out the latest bill. Here are our numbers. We're billed for two months at a time, but I divided the kWh number in half to get you a ballpark number.

Kilowatt (hours) used: 1134

Approx sq footage in your house: 1880

Do you have Central A/C: Yes

Electric or gas stove: Gas cooktop, electric ovens

Electric or gas water heater: Gas

Any other big power users IE swimming pool: The wife, who believes 3 pairs of socks and a t-shirt constitutes a full load of laundry. :rolleyes:

We get our electricity from the city Department of Water and Power, so the bill also includes water, sewer, and trash pickup. Our water cost for the most recent bill was nearly the same as our electricity cost.