quickie project

Frank Fusco

I needed a new primer for a flintlock fowler (shotgun to you modern types ;) ) and, as much as I hate doing this ;);) I made my own.
Sometimes is actually fun having a lathe. :D
I selected a redbud spalted burl stabilized pen blank, cut to the length I wanted, drilled appropriate sized holes in each end then slapped on the length ala the 'mandrel-less pen turning method'. A little while later it was shaped as i wanted. Picked up a hunk of scrap cocobolo, turned the cap, glued in the top and was done. The cap is designed to hold a thong if I want to use one. The brass tip is a spring loaded affair made and sold just for projects like this. Lucky I had one on hand.
Total working time, about one hour.
And, really, doing stuff like this is fun.

Attachments

• primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 43
what does it do frank? hold a shot charge?

No, it holds and dispenses small amounts of a very fine granulation of black powder into the flash pan of the (flint)lock on a.........uh..well....flintlock gun.
The pan holds the powder until the trigger is pulled and the flint flies forward hitting a flat piece of hardened steel called the frizzen, causing a spark which ignites the primer powder in the pan which in turn ignites the main charge in the barrel and shoots the gun. Sounds complex, but in reality, properly set up the ignition is almost instantaneous.
Pictured is a flintlock, there is no flint in the jaws on this one, yet.

Attachments

• flintlock small.jpg
    flintlock small.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 23
is there a certain amount needed each time or is just enough to fire frank? i understand the flint lock system but in the new stuff for the main charge of the projectiles you need to pay attention to amount for accuracy.. and this flash powder needs to be added just prior to firing correct so the critters got a chance to move by the time you get it in there:)

Very cool, Frank. :thumb: Is this something where there might be a market for you to tap?

(The flintlock primer, not the whole "old guy in a thong" idea.) :p

is there a certain amount needed each time or is just enough to fire frank? i understand the flint lock system but in the new stuff for the main charge of the projectiles you need to pay attention to amount for accuracy.. and this flash powder needs to be added just prior to firing correct so the critters got a chance to move by the time you get it in there:)

I don't/won't use the "new stuff". I use only genuine black powder. The amount is only one to three grains, not much. The pan is kept primed while on the hunt.

Very cool, Frank. :thumb: Is this something where there might be a market for you to tap?

(The flintlock primer, not the whole "old guy in a thong" idea.) :p

I posted this on my muzzle loading discussion forum and real quick a guy suggested I sell them.
The brass charger thingy cost $7.00 by itself. My gut is telling me $15.00 is the price point. There isn't enough margin there to risk trying it. A pen can be made in the same amount of time and sell for $35.00 to $100.00.
I plan to make one more to give as a gift.

I posted this on my muzzle loading discussion forum and real quick a guy suggested I sell them.
The brass charger thingy cost $7.00 by itself. My gut is telling me $15.00 is the price point. There isn't enough margin there to risk trying it. A pen can be made in the same amount of time and sell for $35.00 to $100.00.
I plan to make one more to give as a gift.

Still might be worth looking into a bit more, just to confirm (or prove otherwise) your gut feeling on the price point. I agree that $15 wouldn't be nearly enough margin, but if you find folks are willing to pay $50 or $60 for one, it might be worth it.

You never know Frank. Might be a nice little niche market there where you could produce some fancy gizmos. Those guns aren't cheap, and if you can make something unique, you might be able to charge as much or more than you could for a pen...

Those guns aren't cheap

I well know that. :(
Whenever I go to an event or shoot, there are always items, accessories, or whatevers that I "need". The ten and fifteen dollarses can add up.
I have been thinking about this project.
The one I made required two drillings a small hole only 1/2" deep for the brass fitting at one end and a 1/2" hole at the other end going down to the fitting to hold the powder. I spent a lot of time measuring fiddling, squaring and making sure I didn't over drill then clamping up in the dp.
That time could be saved by just drilling one hole most of the way through with the small 3/8" going almost to the top end. It would hold less powder that way but would be much-much faster. And, then instead of putting a separate cap on the top I could just turn an indentation or knob at the end. Finish would not have to be pen-like, turning would be fast. Insert brass gizzie and it would be finished.
Thinking-thinking........:whistling: Gotta leave now. Going to a meeting of bell collectors with my wife. I am just so thrilled about this......:(

You never know Frank. Might be a nice little niche market there where you could produce some fancy gizmos. Those guns aren't cheap, and if you can make something unique, you might be able to charge as much or more than you could for a pen...

OK, I'm going to make two more, maybe today.
One is going as a gift to a currently e-friend only that I'll be meeting at an event next week.
The other I'll put up for sale for $20.00 on my muzzle loading forum. No cost to advertise there. If it doesn't sell, I'll either use or give to another friend.
Win-win either way.
BTW, having several thousand pen blanks on hand, about 400 of them stabilized, doesn't hurt. I won't even notice the cost.