Quitting drugs

I'll add my congrats and encouragements too Ken... I never smoked, tried when I was a teen... my father smoked 2 or 3 packs a day and my sister decided she would take it up too... my dad's only comment was... "don't ever ask me to buy you a pack of cigarettes and don't get into mine." I got all the way through about 3 packs before I decided it was more trouble than it was worth... tried again when I was 35... my wife asked me if I minded if she smoked... I said "yes I do mind"... she said "Well, I'm going to anyway" so I figured if I had to kiss an ashtray, might as well smell like one too... again about 3 packs and just wasn't worth it.

I do understand the addiction though also understand the difficulties of quitting... I've watched my step son quit and try to stay off them off and on for 20 years... I have an aunt who decided to quit... she laid her cigarettes on the end table near the sofa and let them lay there for several months before she decided she was finally done... she died of a brain aneurism and my uncle who never smoked, died of lung cancer...

Good luck Ken and keep up the good work...

Anyone else catch that news report about Indonesia and the smoking craze there. Parents actually teach their children how to smoke at age 2. Two and three year olds go through as much as two packs a day. Everyone smokes. One grandparent said it was OK for his grandchild to smoke as long as he drank a lot of coffee also.
No follow-up joke. This is just too sad and sick.

I have a friend that lives in Perth, Australia. Hadn't seen him since 1984 then a couple years back he was over here visiting and I got some time with him. Saw a pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket and asked, "what gives, thought you quit." He says, "I did quit smoking, just can't quit carrying them or fiddling with them. He says he goes through a pack in about a years time. He'll subconsciously take them out, tap them, pull one out, flip it through his fingers then put it back in the pack. Says they get sorry looking before he throws them out. In his mind, he hasn't "quit" he just plays with them and then tells himself how long it has been and he really doesn't need this one at this time then puts it back in the pack and the pack in his pocket. Whatever works for you.

That's how my dad quit. He carried a pack in his shirt pocket for at least a year, and had a pack in the glove compartment of his truck for years afterward.

Several years after he'd quit, one of his employees was using my dad's truck on a job out in the middle of nowhere and he ran out of smokes. He remembered the pack (of Pall Mall reds) in the glove compartment, so he decided to light one up. Apparently, the taste of the ancient, dried-out cigarette was so bad that the employee just about swore off smoking on the spot. (After he quit gagging.) :p

Good for you Ken. do what ever it takes to quit. Mine was the birth of my kids 22 yrs ago. Never looked back. You can do it one day at a time. I found a pack of bar straws helped when i had the urge to put something in my mouth just pulled out one and chewed on it for awhile instead of the cig. laugh but it does work to brake the habit of putting something in your mouth as that is part of the problem too. Think one you quit all the extra money you will have and then ........ you can get into turning. :doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's how my dad quit. He carried a pack in his shirt pocket for at least a year, and had a pack in the glove compartment of his truck for years afterward.

Several years after he'd quit, one of his employees was using my dad's truck on a job out in the middle of nowhere and he ran out of smokes. He remembered the pack (of Pall Mall reds) in the glove compartment, so he decided to light one up. Apparently, the taste of the ancient, dried-out cigarette was so bad that the employee just about swore off smoking on the spot. (After he quit gagging.) :p

Surprised he didn't burn the tip of his nose.... a dried out cigarette probably should have flared up like a road flare... :rofl::rofl: