Virtual desktops

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Even using a 32" tv for a monitor I run out of space on the screen. So I found a nice app for adding additional desktops to a windows pc today. Works really well and keeps only the apps open on that desktop displayed on the its task bar. Can also set different backgrounds for each to help keep track of which one you are on. Just use hot keys to switch between them or by using the mini toolbar

Files and shortcuts on your desktop are the same between all of them, it just give you more space to spread out your open windows without having to minimize and maximize between them.

http://vdm.codeplex.com/

Just a stupid question but does this kind of thing not slow down your computer.

I mean all those pages are having to be stored in memory.

So the various programs are activated and the current page of code and data is loaded in memory hanging in there waiting for you to change desktops and click on it.

If you have a fast enough and big enough memory bank then whats wrong with short cut icons.

Is this something like say developing a program/webpage whatever for say 5 different clients. So you create a desktop per client and have them available should anyone of the clients call?:dunno:

What if one of the programs on one of the desktops is a database that utilizes loads of resources when its open but inactive.

Can you shed some light on its use i dont wish to know you exact workings just hypothetical would do.

Thanks for sharing it by the way. Just need to get it first so i dont expect it to do what it cannot.

Say I open 3 browser windows and surf in each separately. Would this be much different than if I ran each on a separate desktop? Really you're only using more memory/resources for running the desktops themselves, each of the browser windows are still running.

In my case, my only resource that is lacking is the screen space. I typically have a programming window open, a few file browsing windows, Word and/or Excel, then browsers to test in. It gets kind of cluttered trying to keep track of where I have stuff running.

Where you don't have the system resources to run multiple apps all the time, it probably wouldn't make sense to use the virtual desktop anyway.

Just loaded it. THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!! :thumb:

Bless you, Darren Wright, for linking to it! You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Dang, that's cool!

But if it blows up my machine, I'm coming for you! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Darren, I am not very computer literate so mind letting me in on how you connect to that big screen T-V to use as a monitor? Please. :huh:

I've got an LCD tv with the 15 pin VGA port. I just use vga to vga cable to connect the CPU to the TV.

If your CPU has an HDMI port, you can also patch to most newer tv's using an HDMI cable.

You'll need to use your 'Input' button on your remote to switch to the VGA or HDMI input on your tv.

Hope this helps, or let me know if you need more info. :wave:

Putting on my fireproof suit..........

Depending on what your doing, you might consider trying a Linux distro as well. This has been a capability of most (I haven't tried them all) of its window managers, for years. I typically keep four desktops per machine. (this doesn't even count eye candy like Compiz, which I haven't played with yet)

Putting on my fireproof suit..........Linux...

Get the pitch forks and torches people!!!! If we collect enough of them, Bill Gates will personally send us each $35! :rofl:

Tony, I'll echo Darren. Most TVs these days have a socket that matches (or can be adapted to) a video output socket on the computer. I've got a similar setup to Darren with a 32" HDTV as my main monitor. Since my video card has HDMI sockets and my HDTV has the same, it was dead easy to hook it up. (I've also got a 19" monitor in a vertical orientation sitting next to it, so my total screen width is about 37"...42" diagonally. :D The smaller monitor is running on the VGA output.)

Edit to add...OK I just installed Finestra, and this looks real handy. :thumb:

Just wanted to point out that finestra (pronounced "fee-nay-strah") is Italian for "window".

Imagine the industry-wide confusion if they had used the plural form finestre ("fee-nay-stray") :rofl:

I've got an LCD tv with the 15 pin VGA port. I just use vga to vga cable to connect the CPU to the TV.

If your CPU has an HDMI port, you can also patch to most newer tv's using an HDMI cable.

You'll need to use your 'Input' button on your remote to switch to the VGA or HDMI input on your tv.

Hope this helps, or let me know if you need more info. :wave:

You can also get a PS3 and it can connect you wireless to the Tv so long as you have a wireless router. Isn't technology just amazing. I see that they have a wireless remote for the Nova lathe now too. :thumb: