N/E Ash bowl number 2

John Ryan

This is an ash ne bowl 9ins high x 7ins wide,finish is do and wax.
The two ne bowls were turned wet to 1ins thick at the top and 3/4ins on the bottom. After rough turning they sat at 24% moisture content, they were then put in a dish washer kiln with a 100 watt light bulb. In 7 days they were taken out and moisture content was 7%. After sitting in my home for 3 days they were finished turned. From rough turning to finished bowl took approximately 12 days. The dishwasher kiln idea is from Russ's corner at Badger Pond. When I turn wet wood this is what I use:)

Attachments

• 2nd NE Ash bowl.jpg
    2nd NE Ash bowl.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 36
Thank you for your comments.

Bernie I have tried ash, oak sycamore yew,beech,birch and cherry in the kiln with end grain coated with 50/50 pva/water mix. The cherry warps quite a bit, the beech warps but not as badly. So far the other woods have minimal warping:):)
Jonathan sometimes I need other people to explain the logical:D:D
Vaughn I like ash too but was having tearout every time I tried turning it:eek::eek: I was able to have a day with pro turner Tony Wilson who came to my home and he was able to correct some of my tool techniques and helped me cope with the tearout.:D:)

Just found out as I was writing this my friends sister is in a coma in hospital......What a start to a day

Last edited:
This is an ash ne bowl 9ins high x 7ins wide,finish is do and wax.
The two ne bowls were turned wet to 1ins thick at the top and 3/4ins on the bottom. After rough turning they sat at 24% moisture content, they were then put in a dish washer kiln with a 100 watt light bulb. In 7 days they were taken out and moisture content was 7%. After sitting in my home for 3 days they were finished turned. From rough turning to finished bowl took approximately 12 days. The dishwasher kiln idea is from Russ's corner at Badger Pond. When I turn wet wood this is what I use:)

That's nice... I keep trying to talk my wife into letting me take the dishwasher out, put a nice cabinet in place for her with more drawers and then I can use the DW for a kiln... there's only two of us and in the 9 years we've owned the house the DW has never been turned on... don't think it works anyway.. I think the plumbing has been taken out.

Chuck after 6 months of gentle hints:D my wife went into the kitchen one morning and our three(adult) sons had left their dishes from the night before:eek: decision was made their and then. 30 min later it was in the workshop for modification:D:D:thumb:

Stephen I put that done to the drying and most of all..........luck:):)

John, great NE and thanks for the reminder of the dw kiln. I read that a few years ago, but forgot all about it. I might have room in the garage for one soon....:thumb: