Walker Turner 14" Bandsaw

Dave Black

Here is the walker turner bandsaw that I just finished restoring. I completely disassembled, cleaned and painted it as well as putting new tires on it and recrowning them. I made a factory inspired art deco base for it. The saw was missing the step pulley on the motor so I rigged the motor on a movable mount. The handwheel at the bottom of the base will move the motor in or out of the base to align the pulley with what ever size I want to be on on the step pulley. I got a 1/2" bladerunner blade from Iturra design as well as a 1/4 6tpi. The bladerunner is an awesome blade, I can resaw veneers so thin that I couldn't even see them, or at least so thin that light shines through.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
What an amazing machine you have brought back to work! :thumb::thumb: I have never retired a bandsaw and did not know you had to "crown" a new tire. Great visual piece of equipment with the paint job!! Love the racing stripes. :thumb::thumb:

That looks beautiful, Dave. :clap: The details on the base really fit in well with the design of the saw and paint scheme. Great job. :thumb:

Here is the walker turner bandsaw that I just finished restoring. I completely disassembled, cleaned and painted it as well as putting new tires on it and recrowning them. I made a factory inspired art deco base for it. The saw was missing the step pulley on the motor so I rigged the motor on a movable mount. The handwheel at the bottom of the base will move the motor in or out of the base to align the pulley with what ever size I want to be on on the step pulley. I got a 1/2" bladerunner blade from Iturra design as well as a 1/4 6tpi. The bladerunner is an awesome blade, I can resaw veneers so thin that I couldn't even see them, or at least so thin that light shines through.

I got one, and it is heavy! Cast iron and no vibration. I really like mine, but it don't look nearly as good as yours. Good job!

Old Woodie

Hello all,

New member here. I found a Walker Turner 14" band saw for sale and need some help before I make an offer on it. The serial number on the saw is 9BS6390 which is a Model MBN935 14" Metal band saw if my research is correct (see image). So here are my questions:

1. Could this saw be successfully used as a WOOD cutting band saw? I understand that the speed at which the saw blade travels is critical between wood and metal cutting and this saw appears not to have a step pulley, at least on the top side of the belt. I cannot see by the picture if there is one at the motor end.

2. Assuming the metal band saw has the same rise as with your wood cutting models, what is the maximum resaw height?

3. Do any of you have a ripping fence installed and if so where did you get it? Of course I could always fashion one.

4. The owner wants $ 350.00 for the saw. If in good running condition is that too much to pay?

Now I love old machinery and don't mind paying that for solid iron and stability with little if any vibration. I can do without all the frills and the main thing I want a band saw for is to resaw lumber. So answer that question based on that even though you guys probably found your saws in the dumpster! :doh:

Many thanks for your help and please respond as soon as possible.

PS I will later post a picture of my Silver Manufacturing 36" band saw I got a couple years ago but have not gone through it yet. Massive at about 1,095 pounds!

CropperCapture[1].jpgWT Band Saw 9BS6390.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Robert. :wave:

I'm not familiar with that particular saw, but you are right...the primary difference between a wood cutting bandsaw and a metal cutting one is the speed. If the one you're looking at doesn't have a step pulley, I'd think it would be a pretty easy job to swap out one of the existing ones to get the right speed.

As far as resaw height, if it's like nearly all other 14" bandsaws, the resaw height will be about 6".

My bandsaw came with a fence, but there are aftermarket fences available. Kreg is one manufacturer that comes to mind.

Can't offer much help on the price, but it does seem a bit high for a used saw. On the other hand, any modern saw of the same size likely won't have as much cast iron in it.

And yes, post some pics of your big saw. We'd love to see it. :thumb:

Another vote for the Kreg fence. About a hundred bucks on sale.

For the pulley swap, assumind a 1725 rpm motor, use a 3" pulley on the motor, and a 6" pulley on the lower wheel. That'll get you about 2975 feet per minute blade speed, which is nearly 'spot on' for the 3000 fpm that's generally recommended.

Having said all that. the asking price of $350 is too high. By the time you buy the saw, a fence, and new pulleys, you'll have about $500.00 in the package, and you can buy a new Grizzley G0555 (highly acclaimed!) saw for that. If you can't beat the price down significantly, I take a pass on the W-T saw.

Hello all,

New member here. I found a Walker Turner 14" band saw for sale and need some help before I make an offer on it. The serial number on the saw is 9BS6390 which is a Model MBN935 14" Metal band saw if my research is correct (see image). So here are my questions:

1. Could this saw be successfully used as a WOOD cutting band saw? I understand that the speed at which the saw blade travels is critical between wood and metal cutting and this saw appears not to have a step pulley, at least on the top side of the belt. I cannot see by the picture if there is one at the motor end.

2. Assuming the metal band saw has the same rise as with your wood cutting models, what is the maximum resaw height?

3. Do any of you have a ripping fence installed and if so where did you get it? Of course I could always fashion one.

4. The owner wants $ 350.00 for the saw. If in good running condition is that too much to pay?

Now I love old machinery and don't mind paying that for solid iron and stability with little if any vibration. I can do without all the frills and the main thing I want a band saw for is to resaw lumber. So answer that question based on that even though you guys probably found your saws in the dumpster! :doh:

Many thanks for your help and please respond as soon as possible.

PS I will later post a picture of my Silver Manufacturing 36" band saw I got a couple years ago but have not gone through it yet. Massive at about 1,095 pounds!

View attachment 70071View attachment 70072

I have a walker tuner 14", (see the beginning of the thread) I love it. IMHO I think that price isn't bad. I bought mine for $200 I think, and I had to put new tires on it, and some bearings. They are extremely well built, very heavy. My saw has the gearbox on the back of it for metal or wood sawing. The one you pictured doesn't have it and by the looks of it its already set up for wood sawing judging by the size of pulley on it. If it doesn't need much I think $350 is a good price. I made a simple fence for mine that I just clamp on the table. I looked at the grizzlys in person before I bought this and the smaller saws are just not nearly as heavily built as this is. There's my .02