Going plane crazy

Rob Keeble

I dunno whats got into me but i since i got hooked on Derek from Perths site and the links to all the plane makers.

Here is one that i think has some good ideas i dont know if they quiet his original idea but i quiet like the idea of a tote at the back end of a wooden coffin type plane sure beats the old fashioned coffin bottom type back end.

This is one i would like to have a go at making. Will allow much more controlled chamfering.

I picked up a nice slab of european beech just for the job to try out a few of these planes.

The bug to make tools has got me tight.

I dont know about furniture but certainly love the idea of a little metal work mixed with woodwork.

Check this guy out using copper to make a wooden plane with dovetailed together copper side and sole.

Oh i am itching to try something like this. I gotta get some copper or brass. Will have a look when i am out this week around here.:)

I am thinking that the metal from old dewalt planner blades can be recycled into something like a moulding plane blade what you guys think?

I dunno whats got into me but i since i got hooked on Derek from Perths site and the links to all the plane makers.

Here is one that i think has some good ideas i dont know if they quiet his original idea but i quiet like the idea of a tote at the back end of a wooden coffin type plane sure beats the old fashioned coffin bottom type back end...

I picked up a nice slab of european beech just for the job to try out a few of these planes...

Rob,
That plane is often referred to as a "Razee" type plane. A Stanley #35 transitional is a good example of this type, and the #35 is one of my most favorite planes.

That Euro beech ought to make a very good plane body. It'll be quite a challenge to work with, too. :D:rolleyes:

Well Jim, I was on the same plane (air that is) you were on.:eek: I for the life of me couldn't figure out where a DeWalt planer blade fit on a scale airplane!:doh::dunno::huh: I had Brent's post in the back of my head evidently.:)