Pocket / purse mirrors

Kerry Burton

I completed my first "pocket" mirrors on Friday, getting two from a single 3/4" thickness of scrap. I used double-stick tape to mount the blank to a waste block on a faceplate.

I misjudged the parting tool placement when I cut the first mirror frame off of the blank, which left me with almost too little thickness for the second one ... after which I inset the second mirror deeper than I intended. :doh: In fact, I couldn't bring myself to pull the second piece off of the double-stick tape; I was afraid I would break it. Instead, I parted a thin slice off of the waste block ... and peeled it and then the tape off of the workpiece.

I wish I knew what kind of wood it is; don't remember where or how I picked it up. The fresh shavings were quite red....

FINISH: One coat of General Finishes' Royal Finish.

A590_2653_PocketMirror_WithRuler.jpg

A590_2648_PocketMirror_BothFronts.jpg

A590_2649_PocketMirror_BothBacks.jpg

This last pic is for anyone who's curious about the photo background. It's just a 4-year-old chunk of straight-off-the-chainsaw sycamore. :)
A590_2651_PocketMirror_PhotographySetup.jpg

If you wiped the shavings off of your clothes, did they leave almost an orange color? If so, bloodwood possible? Those look great Kerry!:thumb::thumb: Did you buy the mirrors and if so, where?

Hmmm ... no residue on my clothes that I remember, but it's true that the shavings weren't actually pure red as in "scarlet"; there was a possibly-orange tint to them.

It's been a few years, but I believe I got these 2" mirrors (and some 3" ones) at my local Michael's.

What do you know? I actually got myself to make another one!

The wood is quartersawn sycamore, and the mirror is a 3-incher. Here it is along with my first two - lying on the other side of that same sycamore slab background:

A590_2654_PocketMirror_FirstThreeTogether.jpg

A couple more "solo" shots:

A590_2657_PocketMirror_Sycamore_Front.jpg

A590_2656_PocketMirror_Sycamore_Back.jpg

QUESTION: I'd really like to keep this one as clear / pale as possible, so I don't think I'll use an oil finish. I have some spray (can) lacquer ... do I need to treat the wood with anything before I apply the lacquer? I have some spray (can) sealer as well ... maybe use that first, or does it matter?

(The mirror is not glued in yet.)

What do you know? I actually got myself to make another one!

The wood is quartersawn sycamore, and the mirror is a 3-incher. Here it is along with my first two - lying on the other side of that same sycamore slab background:

A590_2654_PocketMirror_FirstThreeTogether.jpg

A couple more "solo" shots:

A590_2657_PocketMirror_Sycamore_Front.jpg

A590_2656_PocketMirror_Sycamore_Back.jpg

QUESTION: I'd really like to keep this one as clear / pale as possible, so I don't think I'll use an oil finish. I have some spray (can) lacquer ... do I need to treat the wood with anything before I apply the lacquer? I have some spray (can) sealer as well ... maybe use that first, or does it matter?

(The mirror is not glued in yet.)

Kerry, Minwax has some "natural stain" I just used it on oak the had some real nice spalting and darker wood through the heart. It really brought out the depth of the wood and, I think anyway, it looks real nice. All I did was buff it out and the shile is awesome.

Just a thought

Thanks for the "thought" Dom! :thumb: I'll certainly keep that in mind, but probably for another project. (I don't think I have any finish like that right now, and I'd like to use up some of the stuff I already have.)

I think what I need to do is what I often tell others (at work, in Boy Scouts, on my old motorcycle forum) to do: Try it [my]self! Do [my] own research!

I'll try to work up a few pieces of this same sycamore, do a "finishing series", and see what I like best. I have a goodly (for me) supply of sycamore left, so now would be a good time to figure out what looks good on it.

Thanks again!